Author Topic: Post Surgical Pain  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Tman

Hi everyone,

Im scheduled for surgery in a few weeks (May 23rd) and Im really terrified thinking about the pain afterwards. This will be my first time having any major surgery beyond having my tonsils and wisdom teeth out. How much pain can I expect? What will it feel like? I appreciate you sharing any experiences with me.  

Thanks!

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Just like you, I was scared of surgery because of the pain factor before surgery. I had surgery 3 weeks back. I felt no pain from the 1st day onwards. Once you wear the compression wrap, you feel much more comfortable..
 it's important that you have somebody with you to help you out post-op.. don't lift weights and don't strain yourself much for couple of weeks post-op and you will be fine. eat healthy, drink lots of juices. make sure that you don't get constipation post-op bcoz of the pain killers.
Don't worry about pain.. surgery will be a cake walk. but ensure that doctor knows of your expectations. All the best!

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
I had my tonsils out at 19, and at 26 I am 5 days post of for puffy nipple gyne. I have experienced almost no paid. The tonsils were more painful a billion fold.

Offline coleslaw0889

• Posting Member
well let me tell you im about 48 hours post surgery.. honestly speaking the first 20 hours or so so were miserable for me the medicine they prescribe helps alot but it made me kind of itchy but when it wears off it worse so just take even if you get itchy its bettr than the pain.. but right about now the pain has reduced alot and the itchiness has gone away and im taking about half the pain medicine i was before so it goes away quickly its just those first two days that might b painful

Offline Tman

Thank you guys for your responses! My surgery was on 5/23/12 and I just wanted to post my experience regarding pain just in case anyone else has the same fear.

I have been completely amazed how very, very little pain I have had through this process. I woke up very comfortably in recovery and was given some medication to stop the shivering I was experiencing and was on my way home in just a few minutes. Over the next few days I experienced very little pain and only had one or two periods of discomfort. I think most of the discomfort came from the swelling. Overall, there was NOTHING to be afraid of!

Offline bluephiman72

• Posting Member
You're so right. I expected more pain as well, but was surprised that I felt more pain at my drain sites than where they actually removed fat and tissue. Hydrocodone helped a bit also :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024