Author Topic: what kind of pain killers did you get post-op?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
Just wondering what kind of pain killers everyone here got post-op, and what your opinion was of them.

My PS prescribed percocet, and although I was never really in enough pain to require these, I still took a few of them some nights for fun... and let me tell you, these things are a serious trip.

They literally make you feel on top of the world... by the 3-4th day I realized I was just taking them for the fun of it, and that I should probably stop... so I very reluctantly threw the rest out  :o But the percocet's were definitely the funnest part of the whole surgery experience.

Oh well, they were fun while they lasted.

Any other stories?

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
Vicodin seems to be the norm.. but Percodan/Percocet do get prescribed occasionally.

The main ingredient in Percodan/Percocet is Oxycodone and is also what Oxycontin is made of... and I know everyone knows what Oxycontin is.  ;)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The main ingredient in Percodan/Percocet is Oxycodone and is also what Oxycontin is made of... and I know everyone knows what Oxycontin is.  ;)

Nope....

Du tell Dude!

John....
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

anono-man....

My PS prescribed Tylenol-3.

Use them with caution tho! U can get addicted very easily.   :o :o :o

John.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 04:33:19 PM by Bambu »

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Bambu,

Did Tylonel 3 get you drowsy and make you want to sleep or did it get you in a state where you "feel on top of the world"?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Bambu,

Did Tylonel 3 get you drowsy and make you want to sleep or did it get you in a state where you "feel on top of the world"?

No, T-3's do not get you 'high'. They just kill the PAIN. ;)

John.

Offline lithium

• Posting Member
Hydrocodone..... pretty serious stuff. Very addictive too

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I got Vicodin.  I stopped taking it a day and a half ago, because I didn't think my pain was very serious.  

But once that Vicodin wore off, my chest started burning like a fire.  I guess I'll be taking it a bit longer (I'm 5 days post-op.)

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
Hydrocodone..... pretty serious stuff. Very addictive too

Depends on your personality. I was in a car accident about a year ago and am still taking pain meds. I've stopped taking Vicodin because they stopped working for me. I was choking down 5-10 of those a day and NOTHING.  I probably took 300-400 of those in a 6 month period and I wasn't addicted. It really depends on if you have an addictive personality. Some people could LOOK at a bottle of Vicodin and start having a fit.

Bambu, Oxycodone is in the same drug family as Vicodin, but it much stronger. A lot of people take Oxycontin tabs and crush them up for a "heroin-like high." Obviously, this isn't an appropriate use of an otherwise useful medication.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

It really depends on if you have an addictive personality. Some people could LOOK at a bottle of Vicodin and start having a fit.

Yeah me too Dude. I was in a serious car crash about 18 years ago and was on T3's for about 3 months straight. They did the job. However, when my back pain got to the point where I didn't need a pain killer, I just stopped taking the Tylenols.

My back still acts up to this day because of that crash and I take pain killers when the pain get too bad. My GP will not give me T3's so I use 6 T1's at a time. T1's you can get over-the-counter. Patricia thinks that when I do occassionally get T3's, I'm gonna get addicted. Sheesh!  ::)

John.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 06:00:36 AM by Bambu »

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free

Yeah me too Dude. I was in a serious car crash about 18 years ago and was on T3's for about 3 months straight. They did the job. However, when my back pain got to the point where I didn't need a pain killer, I just stopped taking the Tylenols.

Bambu, sorry to hear about your injury. Was the accident your fault or "their" fault? Hopefully you'll be able to get paid for your inconvenience. I'm looking to collect between $50-100K in the next few months for my accident (sweet!)

My back still acts up to this day because of that crash and I take pain killers when the pain get too bad. My GP will not give me T3's so I use 6 T1's at a time. T1's you can get over-the-counter. Patricia thinks that when I do occassionally get T3's, I'm gonna get addicted. Sheesh!  ::)

John.[/b]

;)

Sounds like you need a new GP. I pretty much "tell" my doctor what "I want" and he'll give it to me. I know a little bit about pharmaceuticals and know which ones are good and and which ones are not. If I ever asked my doctor for something specific and he refused to give it to me without good reason (i.e. too hard on stomach, liver, etc... medical reasons) I'd find another doc. That's the beauty of a PPO. I can go to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Offline Spleen

oxycodone =  percocet & hydrocodone = vicodin.  Most times you'll get the generic rather than the name brand.

Offline jonQ

• Gold Member
  • wish it was gone ... bye - bye
had the surgery done,now i'm gynecomastia-less

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024