Author Topic: Pseudo-gyne vs. Excess fat  (Read 3186 times)

Offline akibu.ok

I am new to these forums and am a bit confused about the difference between two common responses to the "Do I have it" question:
1. Looks like pseudo gyne (fatty tissue)
2. Looks like you are overweight/have excess fat overall.
Are these describing the same condition?
My understanding is that these are different conditions - the former can only be treated with surgery (lipsosction should suffice), while the latter may be fixed by exercise.  
Could someone confirm is this is correct?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Some people make a big deal out of the difference between what they refer to as True and Pseudo Gynecomastia.  In this heirarchy, True Gynecomastia actually has development of the milk producing glands while Pseudo Gynecomastia consists entirely of fat.

Usually, things are not that simple.  In the largest percentage of cases, there is BOTH glandular tissue and fat.  

The next thing that you are likely to be told is that glandular tissue is fibrous and firm while fat is soft.  Yes, but not always.  Fat can sometimes seem quite firm and sometimes the glandular tissue is deceptively soft.  

In some cases, even a highly skilled surgeon cannot be absolutely sure until AFTER the surgery is done.

There is virtually no physical detriment resulting from either kind of Gynecomastia.  Conversely, the emotional effects can be severe without regard to which kind of Gynecomastia a person has.

After reading through this you will understand why I do not like to hear the distinction made as to what kind of gynecomastia a person has. The argument simply has no point.

If you could be absolutely sure that you had one kind of tissue but not the other; Liposuction removes fat while excision removes gland.  Since you are most likely to have both, If you have surgery it is best to have the surgeon's options open.
Grandpa Dan

Offline akibu.ok

Thanks for your responses. I understand the (arguably imprecise/irrelevant) distinction between real gyne and pseudo-gyne.
My question was more about whether there is a distinction between pseudo-gyne and excess *overall* fat.
I consulted with a PS yesterday and he told me my case was fat with some fibrous tissue (?) that lipsouction would fix. Assuming this is the correct diagnosis, two thoughts come to mind:
- If it is mostly fat, I should not take a short-cut (liposuction), but instead fix the issue with exercise.
- It is fat, but it is unproportionately localized to the chest area, so surgery is the only option. [I do carry excess fat around my waist, but it doesn't look as bad as the chest. Also, I am not overweight: 5'8" and 145 lbs.]
Which of these is correct?

A few more questions:
- What is the "fibrous tissue" that my PS mentioned. He did not mention "glandular tissue", but are they the same?
- If it is so hard to distinguish gland/fat, why should I go for just a liposuction (as my PS suggests with confidence)?

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
The following link very much reflects what Paa_Paw has said:

http://www.liposuction.com/procedure/breasts_male.php

On a personal level, my PS explained to me that my case of moderately to severe gynaecomastia is comprised of inter-layered fat and glandular (fibrous) tissue as opposed to predominantly glandular tissue sitting exclusively just behind the nippe, which is often the case for other guys.  Fibrous tissue is much more resilient than ordinary fat and is not usually successfully liposuctioned which is why it has to be excised or cut out.

I get the impression that most surgeons are prepared to use both lipo and excision.  I am aware of some guys whose surgeon said that only lipo was needed, but several weeks post-surgery, it turns out that there is significant glandular, or breast tissue remaining and the patient concerned has needed revision surgery.

It is because of this I always suggest getting at least three assessments from surgeons that are have a significant caseload of male chest reduction procedures.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
akibu,

Since you're new to the boards I'll give you a few more definitions:

Gyneitis (gyne-eye-tis) is the name of the condition.

Gynoplasty is the name of the surgery to remove the condition.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:36:42 PM by jc71 »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
To answer the question of what is the gland or fibrous tissue:  Gynecomastia does indeed mean feminine breasts. The fibrous or glandular tissue is the milk producing glands and their associated ductwork. We have it too, Not the girls only. But it is more developed in the girls and I would say it really looks better on them.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024