Author Topic: Surgery very soon..kinda freaking out.  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Lowlands

• Posting Member
Hi all,

I know I wont find much sympathy but I am having surgery in a few days and I'm getting nervous because I have been smoking.  No more than 3-5 a day and I am not smoking anymore.  I know that nicotine
"reduces blood flow that can result in skin loss during the healing period."
.  I;m not worried about after the surgery as I will not smoke, but what about the ones I had before the surgery. Are there any smokers/ex-smokers that smoked before they're surgery????

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
All I can say is doctors give you these instructions for a reason, why take the gamble?

Offline Lowlands

• Posting Member
Yeah I get that.  Just wondering if i'm going to die on the table because I had some smokes

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
No you're not going to die.

You want to stop smoking because it impedes healing.  I would HIGHLY recommend trying to stop as much as you can, it will only help you out after the surgery!

Offline Lowlands

• Posting Member
No you're not going to die.

You want to stop smoking because it impedes healing.  I would HIGHLY recommend trying to stop as much as you can, it will only help you out after the surgery!

Thank you thats all i wanted to know.

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
You should definitely stop now. You will not die.
I had gallstone surgery five years ago and I had a smoke 2 hrs before the operation.

Offline Travelincook

• Posting Member
BEFORE you freak... I just had my surgery on the 22nd... I was smoking a pack a day up until a week before, then i was smoking 2-5 /day up until 24 hours before surgery... I was in your shoes, freaking out about it.

But i had the surgery, and i feel good, everything seems well. I haven't had a cigarette in 3 days, but I think I'll suck it up, because healing is more important.

Yeah I was in your shoes, I think if you are healthy otherwise, you should be alright. I was just getting over a fairly bad flu also when I was going under. I feel good now.

Don't get cold feet!

Offline babu

• Posting Member
dont worry i smoked 6 hours before the surgery...

Offline Jason

• Posting Member
Maybe this is a good time to kill two birds with one stone and stop smoking entirely.  Good luck.

Offline Travelincook

• Posting Member
I agree, it is a good time to kill two birds with one stone!

but get the surgery!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024