Author Topic: Starting Propecia after Surgery  (Read 2362 times)

Offline laurier

• Posting Member
I had pain and swelling in my chest when I went on Propecia last year. However, it became clear that I already had a certain degree of gynecomastia.  If I get it removed with Dr. Fielding, can I get him to remove it all, and then start Propecia after?  Would it be likely to reoccur?  Or not as likely, since it would be "starting from scratch."

Thank you so much

Offline laurier

• Posting Member
Actually, it doesn't stop testosterone production.  It stops the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is the main thing that causes hair on the scalp to fall out when it hits the androgen receptors there.  So I think there is actually more testosterone roaming in your body and then some gets converted to estrogen.  A doctor on www.hairlosshelp.com said that the exact mechanism by which Propecia causes gynecomastia is not know for sure.

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
Propecia is what got me in this mess.

I got gyne from Propecia.

Don't mess with your hormones, bottom line.  You are blocking DHT, you'll get gyne again from it.  If you are susceptible to gyne, blocking DHT will make it come back.

Fielding, nor any PS, can take all the gland out.  A small amount is left.

Use Rogaine.  It works even better.  Even on the front of the hairline.  It says it doesn't work there but it does.

Trust me.  I've been through this already.  I use Rogaine everyday.  Stay away from Propecia or the gyne will come back, end of story.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
For me, Gynecomastia is a family trait.  Another family trait is balding.  

In fact, Balding is a normal condition for healthy verile men.  

Finasteride has more side effects, like diminished libido.  

Accept the fact that you will bald,  and go from there.

If you want the hairline of a 10 year old boy, you may have to accept the sex life of a 10 year old boy as well.

I'm Bald and proud of it.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024