Author Topic: I just read this in a post "LIPO ONLY DOES NOT WORK"  (Read 10798 times)

Offline dukalian

• Posting Member
Does anyone agree, has anyone had lipo only and are 100% satisfied. If so, was it just fat?
Please guys, this is major I need some repsonses.
My doc told me he'd know what he needed to do after he opened me up. When I woke up he said all I needed was lipo. I'm 5 weeks post op, and don't see much results.

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
According to almost everyone who has gotten lipo only, they haven't seen any significant improvement.  Excision is 100% necessary for gland removal.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i'm not sure about all cases.  a lot of unhappy people have posted who should have had excision too, i think some docs trust the lipo too much, but the video somebody posted with dr baxt in new jersey yesterday had a short but interesting discussion of that.  http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12951.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:42:48 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

GynO_DuDe

Im afraid to remove glandular tissue, excision is neccessary unfortunately.

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
I had lipo only and am completely satisfied. He was very aggressive with the lipo and got the glands broken up and removed too. I'll post pics when I take them.

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
The only people that I have seen under the impression that lipo took glandular tissue are people that are overweight.  A cannuladoes not break up gland.  That is not what it is intended to do and any doctor who tells you that is lying.  If you had an understanding of what is underneath all that it would be clear why.  If you are like most people on this site who are not obese then you need excision of mammary gland tissue, ideally with lipo for contouring.  I have heard of doctors that hook up some sort of cutting tool to a cannula.  I don't know about that.     

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
Maybe we can get Dr. Jacobs to weigh in on this question.

Offline dukalian

• Posting Member
After speaking with my doctor I actually had power assisted lypo, however he injected 600cc's of whatever they use (not sure) and sucked out 600cc's (shouldn't he have pulled out more than he put in). Prior to surgery my gyno was the size of small lime's on top of the chest muscle. I'm 6'1 220 and have some natural muscle mass. But now, 7 weeks post surgery I still have small lime size lumps on top of the chest muscles except now they are hard. He says they will shrink but I'm just worried he's not correct or they'll shrink but very little.
I would love for the Doc to weigh in on this part as well.

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
From what I understand, power assisted lipo just makes the job easier for the surgeon.  It should not change the fact that mammary gland is a body organ that would not be sucked through a cannula.  Whatever he put in you, I believe, is just to help pull the fat out by separating fat from the muscle, I think.  People are under the impression that the saline solution or whatever they put in your chest will break up gland.  I have a feeling that anything that is put in your body that would melt a body organ to be sucked through a cannula is something that you wouldn't want their anyway.  It would likely melt other parts of your body.  It is a basic misunderstanding of what is really going on down there.  Then again, I am not a doctor so maybe one could explain it better.  I would suggest that you talk to your doc.         

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
After speaking with my doctor I actually had power assisted lypo, however he injected 600cc's of whatever they use (not sure).

Tumescent Liposuction

Board Thread

"The tumescent fluid decreases the blood loss, keeps you hydrated, and allows your surgeon to remove the fat more precisely from narrower fat compartments."

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline MSJ108

I had lipo only and am completely satisfied. He was very aggressive with the lipo and got the glands broken up and removed too. I'll post pics when I take them.

Be interested in seeing the pictures.

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
They are in the photos section now titled My photos- pre-op, 2 days post-op and 4 weeks post-op.

Offline MSJ108

They are in the photos section now titled My photos- pre-op, 2 days post-op and 4 weeks post-op.

Thanks I'll check them out.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Lipo only can work -- if done by the right surgeon with the right instruments and with the right experience!  I have designed my own set of custom cannulas specifically to treat gyne -- they are sharp!  With them, I am able to remove both fat and gland in many patients -- but not all.  In about 50% of my patients, after doing the lipo, I find there is very dense gland remaining which my instruments cannot deal with.  It is then -- during surgery -- that I make the decision to do an excision and I never hesitate to do so if I feel it is indicated. 

There is no all or none in surgery -- every case is individual and one cannot tell by any type of physical examination (by the patient or by the surgeon) prior to surgery if lipo only will suffice or whether lipo and excision will be the answer.

The nice part of using my instruments is that in about 50% of the cases, I can perform the entire procedure with only a nick in the skin, which will heal to be a white blemish in six months or so.  If you can avoid a scar around the edge of the nipple, why not??

If you don't believe me, I have over 700 satisfied patients who will happily attest that it can be done!

Elliot Jacobs, MD

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline MSJ108

Lipo only can work -- if done by the right surgeon with the right instruments and with the right experience!  I have designed my own set of custom cannulas specifically to treat gyne -- they are sharp!  With them, I am able to remove both fat and gland in many patients -- but not all.  In about 50% of my patients, after doing the lipo, I find there is very dense gland remaining which my instruments cannot deal with.  It is then -- during surgery -- that I make the decision to do an excision and I never hesitate to do so if I feel it is indicated. 

There is no all or none in surgery -- every case is individual and one cannot tell by any type of physical examination (by the patient or by the surgeon) prior to surgery if lipo only will suffice or whether lipo and excision will be the answer.

The nice part of using my instruments is that in about 50% of the cases, I can perform the entire procedure with only a nick in the skin, which will heal to be a white blemish in six months or so.  If you can avoid a scar around the edge of the nipple, why not??

If you don't believe me, I have over 700 satisfied patients who will happily attest that it can be done!

Elliot Jacobs, MD

Good posting Doc!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024