Author Topic: Scar Tissue  (Read 2675 times)

Offline peh123

• Posting Member
What happens to the scar tissue under the nipple?

DrBermant

What happens to the scar tissue under the nipple?

Scars are the body's way of healing. Almost all scars can be felt to a degree. The trick is to minimize deforming scars and optimize them as much as possible. This starts with the surgical technique, minimizing damage to the tissue itself. When done right, there can be Minimal Swelling and Bruising After Gynecomastia Surgery. Yes, those are typical evolution of tissue for my patients. Unfortunately, few doctors show such early after surgery images, so you need to hunt on forums like this one to see what that doctor's methods are like.

Minimizing scarring continues then in the after surgery care. Patient education is critical in this factor. How many of that doctor's patients are asking questions about what they can do after surgery on this forum or elsewhere?  Not letting tissues heal optimally means more injury and swelling. Optimally for my patients, peak swelling (which is minimal to begin with) is in the operating room and decreases after that.

After Surgery Compression Garments are the next factor. My patients are fitted with 2 types of garments before surgery. Scars protected mean less injury. Later, scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure. Last there is
Scar Care.

With this methodology, some of my patients come back with scars you can barely see after surgery. There is a limitation to this process. When I am performing revision surgery, you cannot erase a scar but only replace that scar with another scar. Other limiting factors are the way an individual scars. Those who have a tendency for bad scarring should carefully way the risks of elective surgery and at least be informed about such issues before surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline peh123

• Posting Member
okay that made no sense at all. I have had surgery and underneath the nipples, it is still slightly numb and hard will that go away with time? Because I am assuming it is just scar tissue

DrBermant

okay that made no sense at all. I have had surgery and underneath the nipples, it is still slightly numb and hard will that go away with time? Because I am assuming it is just scar tissue

Your assumption that it is only scar tissue may be wrong. Residual gland will not go away. Firm tissues can improve or worsen over time depending what was done to them and many other factors such as I outlined above.

Numbness is from nerve injury. How much that will recovery depends on how badly the nerves were injured and your healing capability.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
it is still slightly numb and hard will that go away with time? Because I am assuming it is just scar tissue

Numbness is absolutely normal and to be expected with every gyne operation.  Feeling returns to the skin and nipple very slowly -- over several months at least.

Assuming your surgeon removed all excess gland, then the hardness is due to expected post-op swelling combined with some scar tissue.  It, too, will soften over several months.

Be patient.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024