Author Topic: Liposuction Incision Scarring  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Stanford

• Posting Member
I am just over 8 months post-op and I haven't noticed much improvement in the appearance of the scarring from the liposuction done on my chest. I was seen by a dermatologist recently who believes nothing can be done to improve it. Has anyone here had a positive experience with scarring of this nature?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It looks like there was three small incisions done -- is that correct?  Or perhaps one central incision and two scars from the stitchmarks.

The scars are permanent.  However, they seem to be somewhat raised above the surface of the surrounding skin (we call this hypertrophic scars).  There are two possible alternative treatments to explore with your surgeon or dermatologist.  First, consider very careful injections of cortisone.  Or, consider a silicone gel sheet to be applied to the scars continuously for a month or two.  Either of the treatments should flatten the scars and make them somewhat less noticeable.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Stanford

• Posting Member
Thanks for the response doctor. I have some silicone sheeting on hand. Is massaging necessary in conjunction with the sheeting for optimal results?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No, you need not massage.  Just be patient with the silicone sheeting -- it takes many months to see results.

Dr Jacobs

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Can the silicone sheeting be used immediately after the surgery is done?  Since bandages must be worn anyways (for awhile at least), will starting off with the silicone speed up the process of making the scarring less noticeable?  Perhaps it isn't advisable, since a new wound will bleed or ooze a little in the beginning.
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Silicone sheets, which are not sterile, cannot be placed on a fresh wound -- it would contaminate it and provoke infection.,  They are used once the wound has healed and only in cases when the wound is thickened.  They do nothing for a normally healing wound.

Dr Jacobs

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Good to know, thanks.  I was going to go out and get some before my surgery and start using them right away....glad I asked!  Do they help reduce the redness of the scar as well?

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hi Stanford.  The pic you posted is nice an clear.  From my perspective, the scarring doesn't look bad at all.  Maybe raised a little bit, but not too bad.  Once the outline of the bandages goes away, I bet it is even less noticeable  :)  Sounds like the advise Dr. Jacobs gave about the silicone patches would be just the thing you need though to make them even less visible.  Worth a shot!  Good luck!

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Do they help reduce the redness of the scar as well?

Silicone will only reduce the raised thickness of scars -- it will not do anything for the red color, which will take 6-12 months to fade naturally.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Cavalli

No, you need not massage.  Just be patient with the silicone sheeting -- it takes many months to see results.

Dr Jacobs

I just had my surgery today. I didn't have an incision on the side of my chest wall like the person who began this post--- mine are just in the bottom part of my areolae. My doctor didn't mention silicone sheeting. Where could I get these from? I'll do anything to avoid having noticeable scars. Approximately how much are they? Would they be helpful in my situation or just for incisions on the lateral portion of the chest?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is too early to see if silicone sheeting is necessary.  In fact, for most patients, it is not necessary at all.  For the few of my patients who develop a slightly thickened scar (either on the side of the chest or around the areola), usually one injection of kenalog can do the trick.  And I do not charge my patients for this injection -- it is included in the overall charge for surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline scott6459

• Posting Member
Dr. Jacobs did my surgery, and over time, my incision site on both sides did 'thicken' (not the Dr. 's fault, just the way I heal) - but my dermatologist injected cortisone into the scars and they flattened out  and now it is very hard to see them. I know they are there, but no one has ever said 'what's that?'.
A VERY small price to pay for such a positive  life changing experience!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024