Author Topic: scar tissue under incision areas 10 months later, keep waiting or do something?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
I got the surgery roughly ten months ago and ten or so weeks later I noticed hard tissue underneath the incision area, kind of surrounding my areola.  So it gives the effect of kind of pushing my nipples out.  About half a year in I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said to just wait.  However it's been ten months now and it's barely changed at all- there's still noticeable hard tissue and one nipple in particular puffs out so much it's kind of noticeable under t-shirts, which is not something I was looking forward to experiencing after my gyno surgery.  Should I be pursuing something like steroid injections more aggressively?  Is it likely that scar tissue like this will still soften/shrink significantly at this point?

Offline macman213

• Bronze Member
I'm wondering the same thing, though I'm much earlier (3 months). One side is perfect, the other side has scar tissue that is pushing the lower half of the nipple out. I've been massaging aggressively. If that darn tissue just softens, I can tell it will be perfect.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If the nipples were originally flat after surgery, then the most likely cause of thickening or elevated nipples is some scar tissue.  This is not at all uncommon after gyne surgery -- it usually starts within several weeks after the operation and continues for several months -- then it seems to stabilize.  It is your body's normal response in healing.  Unfortunately, sometimes the scar tissue thickens a bit. 

I usually consider cortisone injections anytime after 4 months -- and sometimes sooner.  It is never too late to have cortisone injections.

Would therefore return to your surgeon and request his evaluation and treatment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024