Author Topic: 6 yo son non-obese pseudo gynecomastia ALL Clear no medical cause  (Read 15506 times)

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
Hi,

I am glad I found this forum what I have read has been very helpful.  I would appreciate any information you guys can give me.  Last night at dinner my husband told me my 6 yo sons chest looked weird.  I looked and sure enough one side was bigger and droopy.  I checked him out and he had a hard grape sized lump directly under his nipple.  My husband said he noticed it several weeks ago but forgot until he saw it again.

I went online and started researching what this could be.  My sons lump did not give him any pain or soreness and he has had no discharge.  From what I found gynecomastia is not normal for such a young child.  Did any of you experience this at such a young age?  I took him to the doctor this morning and the doctor does not believe it is just a cyst.  Monday morning I am taking him for an ultrasound and for blood work on his estrogen and testosterone and acth levels.  I'm freaked out because he has been a very health kid,  but he has been experiencing real problems dealing with his emotions and anger.  I really hope he may just have gynecomastia and I just didn't notice it before.  I'll keep you guys posted and appreciate any feedback you could give me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:19:59 PM by Audreyi »

Offline greatdane

• Posting Member
If he's not in pain it's probably gynecmastia. I had it as long as I can remember so atleast by the age of 8 or 9 and i was by no means a fat kid. I had it in both nipples though so I guess my case was a little different.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
usually it happens later, but i've seen people say they got it as early as 5 or 6. 

i posted on a hormonal imbalance thread about steroids in beef and dairy having an effect on the very young, i'm hard pressed for any other explanation myself. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
I hope it's just gyne I just found a picture of him at the zoo last year and I don't see any sign of it in this picture I'm going to look at others tonight.

(oops I tried to imbed the image but couldn't)

I'm just worried there is a real problem causing his hormones to be off balance.  He's also really skinny (46lbs)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:00:09 PM by Audreyi »

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
You are doing the right thing to get him checked out. Six sounds very young especially if he's only 46 lbs (it's not fat). A variety of things could cause it and the doctors will help you with diagnosis and treatments. It's great that he has good parents who are looking out for him. Best of luck.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your son is to be congratulated for picking such a good Mom.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things already.

You are correct that while some degree of gynecomastia is common in early puberty and it is almost always physically harmless in spite of the emotional consequences; Breast enlargement prior to puberty should always be thoroughly investigated.

Please keep us posted.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
Hi here's a picture of my son's lump and enlarged nipple.  It boggles me that I did not notice this sooner since it is so pronounced.  I measured today, his doctor said while were figuring it out I should keep track of the size.  his lump is approx 5cm in diameter and 2cm deep.  Here's a picture. 

I am trying not to make a big deal out of it to him or make him feel weird about it so I just told him we had to get things checked out tomorrow and and then go to McDonalds before school.  He's focused on McDOnald's breakfast!  I will post what his test results show I'm not sure how long it will be I think the blood work takes a few days for my doctor to review and I don't know if they ultrasound technician will know anything or if I just wait to see what my doctor says.  In good news I live near chicago and my hospital and insurance has a pediatric endrocronologist in network.

I found a good article that had pointers for parents of kids who find lump.  I wanted to share it in case anyone else was searching for info:
http://www.drgreene.com/21_970.html

• "Here are times to worry about lumps in a boy's (not a newborn's) breast:

If they begin before age 10 years or after age 15 years (especially after puberty is complete)
    If they are not directly under the nipple
    If there is overlying dimpling of the skin or skin ulceration
    If the they feel fixed to the skin
    If they are large--over 1.5 inches (4 cm) in diameter
    If they don't go away within 2 years
    If the nipples leak milk, blood, or other fluid
    If there are other signs of disease--night sweats or weight loss, for example

These are all situations in which a breast lump should definitely be examined, in addition to the important regularly scheduled physicals during the puberty years. These children should have a careful physical examination right away. They should probably have an endocrinology (hormone) workup and perhaps an ultrasound or a mammogram, depending on the exam."

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Audreyi...

Thanks for sharing and yes, please, update us on the test results...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

http://www.drgreene.com/21_970.html

"Breast lumps in children often give rise to two immediate fears--Could it be a tumor? Or could something be going wrong with puberty? (A third fear--Will my child be teased?--arises if the first two turn out to be no problem.)"

For most, unfortunately, yes. Kids can be devastatingly cruel at times...  :-\

GB

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
for what its worth, i started noticing a change around 10, with hard lumps etc although the breasts didnt form properly until a few years later. I guess were all different, some get it really early, some get it really late, but if it is gyne, then its a good thing youve spotted it early, he wil thank you for it in later years i guarantee :)

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
I just spoke with his pediatrician who said the radiology results indicate it is pseudo gynecomastia.  I am relieved because I was really afraid it was some sort of tumor growth.  We are still waiting on his blood test results to see whats going on.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I just spoke with his pediatrician who said the radiology results indicate it is pseudo gynecomastia.

Pseudo  Sham

I just don't understand how it can be called 'Pseudo Gynecomastia'. Pseudo, by definition, means 'fake/false/not real'.... well if it is 'fake/false/not real' Gynecomastia, then what exactly is it?  ???

GB

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
from my understanding it looks the same but does not involve the gland.   In the pseudo cases it is only an excess of fat built up in the breast.  We are waiting on the blood test to see what is going on hormonally because my son is skinny.  From what I can find the only things that would cause this at his age is obesity or a hormonal cause.  Who knows maybe this is natural and there is no underlying problem other than cosmetic and in that case I can monitor it and take action some years down the line.  Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get blood results on acth, estrogen, and testosterone.  We had them done at the hospital so I hope it's just a few days

http://www.smartplasticsurgery.com/gynecomastia.html
    Pseudo-gynecomastia is an enlarged male breast caused by excessive fat tissue, but a normal amount of glandular breast tissue. Pseudo-gynecomastia occurs in many men as they become older and in younger men who are relatively obese.

Pseudo-gynecomastia can be effectively treated by liposuction.

Gynecomastia is an enlarged male breast caused by excessive glandular tissue. Excess breast tissue occurs in about 75% of young boys during puberty.
    Gynecomastia can be treated by eliminating the cause or by surgical excision.[/li]

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I am relieved because I was really afraid it was some sort of tumor growth.  We are still waiting on his blood test results to see whats going on.

That's awesome that it's not a tumor...  very good news...  :)

Pseudo-gynecomastia is an enlarged male breast caused by excessive fat tissue, but a normal amount of glandular breast tissue. Pseudo-gynecomastia occurs in many men as they become older and in younger men who are relatively obese.

Hmmm, your son is very thin... ???   How then, can they (the experts) call it 'Pseudo Gynecomastia'? ???  Your son is neither old or obese....

Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both. Pseudo Gynecomastia is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.

Pseudo-gynecomastia can be effectively treated by liposuction.

Most 'lipo only' procedures do not give satisfactory results.

Gynecomastia is an enlarged male breast caused by excessive glandular tissue.

'Gynecomastia', by definiton, is... "excessive development of the breast in the male"  This definition does not indicate how much gland and/or how much fat tissue there should be, to 'qualify' as Gynecomastia.

'Gynecomastia' is....  Gyne (woman like) and Mastia/Mastos (breast). It doesn't stipulate whether one is fat or thin, young or old....  if one has 'woman-like breasts', whether it be all gland, all fat, or a combination of the two, then they have Gynecomastia... period!

So IMO, 'Pseudo Gynecomastia' is an incorrect term to use... Either you have 'Women-like' breasts, or you don't.  ;)

See, the problem with the term 'Pseudo Gynecomastia' is that a person who is fat can be wrongly labeled. "Well he's fat, so it's Pseudo Gynecomastia"... Many people would think that all that 'Fat Guy' has to do is loose weight. Well that's furthest from the truth. In fact, many guys are 'fat' because they have Gynecomastia! They shy away from physical activities as a result of having Gynecomastia. Little to no physical activity as you know, may lead to obesity. Also, many sufferers can get depressed, which can lead to, you got it....  over consuming. Which also can lead to obesity...  Sad isn't it.   :-\

In 1990, I dropped my weight down to 148 lbs, in an attempt to get rid of my m(o)(o)bs. Now, weighing in at 148 lbs and standing at 6 feet with 'women-like' breasts, I looked very odd. I was told by my PS that he removed 'adipose' tissue. No mention of gland. Maybe, it was 'all fat' (i'm not sure), but non-the-less, I had 'women-like' breasts --->  GYNECOMASTIA...

Anyways, sorry, I'm rambling on. This thread is not about me, but rather you son... Once again, I'm happy for you that it's not a tumor...  :)

GB
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:55:46 AM by Grandpa Bambu »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024