Poll

For those of you who wore a compression vest, how long did you wear it for?

1-2 weeks
14 (23.3%)
2-4 weeks
17 (28.3%)
4-6 weeks
14 (23.3%)
6-8 weeks
4 (6.7%)
8+  weeks
11 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Poll: Compression Vest... Duration?  (Read 16438 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
This poll is at the request of 'gettingrid'.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Clarification please...  Does this include a transition garment such as Underworks 998 or similar that's used after a few weeks post op, or are you only talking about the chest-binding vest that's used right after surgery? 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:33:41 PM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline gettingrid

• Bronze Member
Clarification please...  Does this include a transition garment such as Underworks 998 or similar that's used after a few weeks post op, or are you only talking about the chest-binding vest that's used right after surgery? 

I was wondering about till when people wore some compression vest regularly including underworks type stuff. I dont have too much swelling left at 5 wks but feel that sleeping without some comp vest would case the skin to deform...this is more an unfounded fear of course....so I wanted to know how long before nothing was worn for comp.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Yeah I'm going on 8 plus weeks... moreso now because I just want to be safe, not sorry because I had a more severe case. It's been pretty comfortable for me and I figure I'll wear it for another month (so 3 months / 12 weeks total) and be totally ready for the summer.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Somewhere I read compression should be applied for 6 months...   That's a tad overkill IMO!

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

my doctor said I didn't have to wear one at all.

Same here... JCF said that the hospital tensor wrap would be sufficient...

GB

Offline MSJ108

4 weeks here. then switched to under armour.

Offline hyperballad

• Posting Member
what is a vest? i never heard of it and don't have it. i wore the wrap for 2 weeks and then i was told i can just wear it at night, but i didn't do that. so yeah i haven't had anything on for about a month now.

Offline Shrigley

• Posting Member
I wore one for the first time today. Not only did it ride up I got a red rash on my breasts and immedialely below that lasted for over an hour. Probably won't wear it again. Can't wait for sports bra to arrive.

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
I wore one for the first time today. Not only did it ride up I got a red rash on my breasts and immedialely below that lasted for over an hour. Probably won't wear it again. Can't wait for sports bra to arrive.

Besides the riding up and the rash, the vests or any type of bra that just smashes your breasts down are uncomfortable, in my experience (of only a few years).  I think you'll find that you want something with an actual cup, even if it's not necessarily separate.  I say it that way because there are a lot of bralettes (and maybe sports bras too, but I have not looked at them as much) which, while not having a separate cup sewn to wings and a center gore, nevertheless give more room in the breast area rather than just being a wide chest band.  A new gyne sufferer might just want to hide it and squash them down; but as he gradually comes to accept what he has, and as he experiences more growth, he usually changes his mind and goes for comfort instead.  That's my observation on this forum anyway.

For whatever reason, I have only one breast growing.  This started five years ago.  It's not huge like some men here have, and it's still pretty easy to hide (as long as I don't go out in just a tank-top undershirt, in which case it would be a little bit eye-popping), but going braless hurts with impacts like going down stairs, jogging, etc., and there's the irritation of the inside of a shirt rubbing on the nipple too.  I've tried a lot of bralettes and a few bras and a few cheap sports bras, and have found something that's quite comfortable for me, relatively easy to hide, and I don't think about it.  I'm growing though, and I'm sure I'll need something else in six months or a year.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024