Author Topic: Exposure to sunlight.  (Read 3124 times)

Offline george92

• Posting Member
How soon after the op is it safe to expose the skin to sunlight, as in beach intensity sunlight?

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Actually, it's best not to expose the scars to direct sunlight until they are almost completely healed.  This will take about 6 to 7 months.
In some people it can take a year for them to fade.

But if you really want to get in the sun shirtless, use a very strong sunblock and put a little extra around the scars.  I would reapply the sunblock to the scars every couple of hours just to be safe as well.

Tanning with the scars will usually make the scars turn a different color than the rest of your skin.  This can be a problem as it will make the scars more noticeable.  Plus, healing skin should not EVER get sun burnt.  You can face some nasty problems if that happened.

Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!

:)
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline george92

• Posting Member
Hmm, I'd better not risk it then. Besides, its not going to be like I have breasts to hide by then, so it'll look generally quite normal.

Offline strato

• Posting Member
Tanning with the scars will usually make the scars turn a different color than the rest of your skin.  This can be a problem as it will make the scars more noticeable.

Hi Jake, can I ask you a question? Do you think even after our scars are healed (like 8-12 months after the operation), can they still change color after tanning? because yes we will be healed by that time but there will always be a scar there even it is barely noticable or not..

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
I think that question needs a doctors answer.  I always hear six months.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024