Author Topic: Really in need of help............  (Read 1688 times)

Offline justachange

• Posting Member
hello, my name is kalpesh jack, i m 20 yrs old at present and suffering from gyecomastia since the age of 12. i m realy confused as to how to treat this thing.some say that pills or medicines can help others prefer surgery,

if there is anyone who can guide me then plz help
about me:age 20,height 5'8,a straight guy,

have a little enlargement around my nipples since my age of 12.do not consume alcohol or cigarette or any other drug,and i m not obese.
planning to get rid of this as soon as possible

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First.  Sorry, there are no magic pills. Gynecomastia is actually one end of wide range that is normal. We seem to be on the wrong end of the range, but that does not make the condition abnormal. By the same token, while Gynecomastia is sometimes a symptom of a disease, it is not a disease in itself and terefore cannot be cured. This does not prevent people from selling their "Herbal Suppliments" and "dietary aids with the obvious hint that they will get rid of the condition. Those product are almost universally labled with disclaimers and they are worthless. Surgery is the only way to get rid of the condition.

Second.  The condition is an equal opportunity embarrassment, Age, height, and sexual orientation/ preference make no difference at all. Actually I might have to correct myself here, The condition is more common among older men who are being medicated for some conditions such as Prostate problems.

Third.  While alcohol and street drugs are often blamed for Gynecomastia; The most common cause would seem to be: "I don't know." A precise cause is rarely ever found.

Finally, You picked the right time to be born. Cosmetically acceptable, safe and reliable surgery to minimize the size of men's breasts has only been around for a little more than your own lifetime. Older guys did not have the good surgical option you now have. Even still, while this is the most common of cosmetic procedures for men, Many men choose to simply live with the condition. This is a personal choice and it is entirely up to you.

In the short term, if you find the condition embarrassing, There are compression vests and shirts that will help conceal the condition.

Grandpa Dan

Offline justachange

• Posting Member
thanks grandpa, yours words helped a lot,
i was sure that surgery is the only way out.
i consulted a doctor too and even its cost is affordable but just one thing,
i think u r the one who can answer it precisely,
the thing is that what my father will think when i'll tell him about this i mean a son with a boob,,
i mean how would you react when ur boy would say it to u.
just for getting confidence i first said it to my best friend he understand it and is ready to help in every way possible.
one thing is for sure u wrote that its our choice that whether one can live with it or treat it. as far i am concerned i am not gonna live with it,i am not gonna let it ruin my life.
each day it like a exam for me to find the right shirt so as to look goog hiding this moron!
i m fed up with scary life.
plzz tell me how should i procide to my father.
my father is a nice and understanding man,but i m not sure how he will react to this,but i feel that he will help after all i m his only son.
i m not having any grandpa both r in grave.
getting a reply of help from a unseen grandpa seems like one of them is speaking to me.
do help,waiting for ur reply

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Because this is a condition guys tend to keep secret, it is entirely possible that you father has it too. Even if he doesn't, he should be understanding. There are times when parents think that their son is making a big deal out of nothing. Most are understanding, but not all. The thing is that if you do not open the topic, parents usually will not. Parents usually do not wish to embarrass their children in such a personal way.

Ultimately, you have everything to gain in the way of help but nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is that he might find your plight amusing. We deal with kidding and teasing all the time, We can handle this.

As a grandparent myself, I know that there are times when a grandparent is the best source of help. Grandparents are just distant enough to be more objective while still being close enough to care.

Offline freak

• Posting Member
hey man, I too dealt with this condition since the age of 12 or 13. I'am 46 and just last week finally had the surgery to correct it.  It may be kind of expensive but finding a good plastic surgeon with lots of experience with gynecomastia is key. I wish I had done the surgery years ago. Its not that big of a deal..no real pain after surgery, it just  felt like I had done a lot of push ups the day before. Good luck!

Offline Dr. Robert Wilcox

• Doctors
  • Posting Member
    • Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Center of Texas
Hello Kalpesh,

First, I empathize with you.  When I was 13 years old I developed right sided gynecomastia and my mother took me to the doctor and he explained the condition and that it is very common onset with puberty or in older men.  If it doesn't go away in 24 months, it is unlikely to resolve without surgery.  I was lucky and mine resolved in a year. Now 40 years later I am on the other side of the conversation. 

The gynecomastia consists of fatty tissue and the glandular component.  The glandular portion is very tough and hard like scar tissue.  Once it is established, only surgical removal is effective.  The pills/medicines you described are only effective for preventing the conversion of testosterone into estrogens in the fatty tissue of the body to hopefully prevent gynecomastia.

Fortunately, we offer a technique of gynecomastia surgery with NO SCAR of the chest nor drainage tubes.  All of the procedure can be done with a small incision under the arm which fades quite nicely.

Dr. Dr. Dr. Wilcox
Plano, TX

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024