Author Topic: Mammogram of my chest  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
[[ I will post a pic of the mammogram as soon as I receive a copy ]]

So I had a Diagnostic Bilateral Mammogram of my chest this morning and the doctor wanted to speak with me afterwards (I don't know who this doc is but he's obviously the one on site at the imaging center). He said everything looked normal, yet I do carry a built chest (muscle with some fat). I let him know that I had taken Testosterone. He reassured me that there is no gyno, just plenty of fat surrounding the chest.

These pictures will be sent to my Endocrinologist who diagnosed me with gynecomastia through multiple physical examinations. I'll be seeing her next week...

What are your thoughts on this?
If a doctor could chime in, that would be great!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:07:04 PM by Keep_It_Moving »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I very rarely send my patients for a mammogram.  The only time I do so is if I suspect some type of growth, tumor, etc.

The diagnosis of gynecomastia is made, first and foremost, by observation.  Feeling the tissue can be deceptive -- gland or fat can feel either firm or soft ---but both types of tissue can contribute to a "female-type breast."  Sometimes patients feel that if a mammogram reveals all fat, then it is not gynecomastia.  Untrue!  Gynecomastia can be defined as any excess tissue on a male chest which provide a female shape to the chest.  And most guys know that the chest is the first place where fat will lodge -- and the last place that it will be lost, even with the strictest of diets.

Therefore, IMHO, mammograms are useless and a waste of money.  Unfortunately, insurance may require mammograms to "prove" that breast tissue exists.  But as described above, the diagnosis of gynecomastia can be made without significant amounts of breast tissue.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
Dr. Jacobs-

Thank you for this response. I was beginning to think that I was crazy for thinking I had gyno. I was beginning to second guess all those times my nipples and chest area have been tender or sensitive. I know something is up.

A question for you Dr.
Is it possible that it is too soon for anything to show up on a mammogram? I've only been experiencing gyno issues for the past 6 weeks, give or take a week.(due to using testosterone). I will be having another one in 4-6 months. My reasoning behind this is if any glandular tissue is going to settle, then it will have set in by then.

Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Can't answer  that one with precision -- I am not a radiologist.  However, I have seen mammograms of patients with large gyne -- and virtually no discernible solid breast tissue -- just white streaks of breast tissue.

Bear in mind, most radiologists are looking for breast cancer or other tumors -- they do not try to quantitate the amount of pure breast tissue itself.  And as you know, in gynecomastia, the breast tissue and fat are like fingers inter-laced -- they grow into one another.

Hope this helps.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
This does help, thank you!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024