Poll

What age were you when you first discovered your chest/nipples growing?

pre 10
33 (9.3%)
10-13
184 (52.1%)
14-17
66 (18.7%)
18-22
17 (4.8%)
22-30
13 (3.7%)
30+
40 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Author Topic: Age of Onset  (Read 56612 times)

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
This is a chance to report about your experience and see what others experienced.
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline Jahshua

• Posting Member
  • There is life after Gynecomastia
I noticed my gyne when I was about 14. Actually it was pointed out to me by a group of laughing guys. Needless to say it bothered me during my teenage years and through my 20's. I finally had the surgery at 29 (01-10-08).

Until I was about 27 I thought I was alone in this struggle. I LOVE this web site, and I hope younger guys with gyne find it so they will not feel like they are the lone freak like many of us did/do.

Here's my doc's web page: drmoliver.com

Offline slyblackdragon

• Silver Member
I noticed it around 11 years old. I was visiting my grandparents in Port Charolette FLA. My brother and I were swimming in her neighbors pool when they both started making fun of me and telling me I needed a bra.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I was about 10-11 years old when I first noticed my Gyne...  Two girls were giggling at me in Phys. Ed.  Most embarrassing!   :-[

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
13-14 or so, suddenly noticed something under the skin that shouldn't be there.  think it was fast, too.  high school is the wrong time to get it. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

13-14 or so, high school is the wrong time to get it. 

You are right there my friend!

A teen has enough issues to contend with, let alone the burden of Gynecomastia...   :-\

It can make a teens life a living hell...

GB

irish lad

defiently agree mine was pointed out too me when i was around 13 in school later relising when i was 17 it was gyne.. and now im 19 and hope to get op within next two months

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I was about 12 or 13 when it started.  When I went shopping for a sport jacket, the salesman smirked, "A bit chesty, huh?"  Later, when I was in high school, I found someone had put a bra on my locker!  And when I went to the pediatrician, he would put his hand on my shoulders and say "Just baby fat -- just wait and it will go away." And it never did disappear!

I didn't know what it was until I was much older -- they didn't have the internet at that time!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I had slight puffy nips during puberty around age 16...I thought I had breast cancer or something when I felt the lumps underneath.  My dad took me to the doctor who said it was nothing to worry about.  It went away then returned much worse at about age 21/22 when i put on a lot of weight from lifting weights and eating copious amounts of food in an attempt to "bulk up".
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
I can remember noticing something when I was about 12/13, but didn't think much of it. Then one of my mates took the piss in PE and that was me conscious of it for the rest of school. I was into swimming when I was younger (and pretty good at it too), and the gyne just put me right of it. I wish I had got the nerve up to talk about it with my parents when I was a lot younger, but I am glad it is all behind me now. I'm only 23 and can get the feck on with things. Anyone thinking of surgery, get to a doctor and suss out your options. Surgery was one of the best decisions I made. This board helped a lot too.
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Good poll! I was about 8 years old, and I was swimming with a friend of mine. I got out of the pool, and he just stared at me. So I say "what?" and he's like "man you have big boobs!" haha that was it for me. Then, at age 10, I went to the beach with the neighbor girl, and she was just quietly laughing to herself. I said "What's so funny?" and she replied "You have big nipples". Wow, right? And that's not even the end of it. On a hot day hangin with some of my friends at age 10, I decided to take my shirt off. Then, one kid started laughing hysterically and started shouting "FAT TITTIES!" And the last incident I remember which was the final nail in the coffin, I was at the water park, and some guy about 18 that i didnt even know yelled "I like your boobs!"

People can be so cruel, and I probably wouldn't feel so self conscious about my chest if it weren't for these remarks that lie so prominently in my mind to this day. About 8 years old was when I first noticed something was different with me, though... All because of these mean people =/

Offline what2do?

• Silver Member
there's actually two things to consider in regards to the question posted, 1. how old was i when i had gynecomastia physically 2. how old was i when i gave a damn about it .. with #1. i was actually about 10 - 12 years old, can't really tell, all i know was that i became overweight at that time and and along came the "MB's". 
#2. i lost alost of weight at 16, went from 178-132lbs, overall i looked good, never worried about it.  i did notice that i had retained residual fat around the chest and was abit self conscious when it comes to taking my shirt off.  it wasn't bad at all ...then at 21 i started to gain weight again gradually and went back to the 180's lbs by 27 years old.  the "MB's" were back and even worse, some people commented and that's when it hit me.. i lost weight again and dropped back to 132lbs at 28..overall i look and feel great but the "MB's" are still there, seems like i have a tendency to retain fat in that area and that surgery is my only way out..

Offline aav

About 10 years old   My cousins laughed even my father told me I need a bra always wore big shirts and walked hunched to hide it
I'm 47 now and am considering surgery  Did not even know about it until a few years ago   Glad to find this site

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
About 10 years old   My cousins laughed even my father told me I need a bra always wore big shirts and walked hunched to hide it
I'm 47 now and am considering surgery  Did not even know about it until a few years ago   Glad to find this site

Your DAD made fun of you?! How awful!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

People can be so cruel, and I probably wouldn't feel so self conscious about my chest if it weren't for these remarks that lie so prominently in my mind to this day.

Exactly! It's not the Gynecomastia that bothers us, it's the pointing, staring, giggling, smirking, lauging and cruel comments that we despise.

GB 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024