Author Topic: First step  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Ilspana

Hey.

I'm twenty-six, and I think I've been suffering from gynecomastia since I was about ten or so.  When I first noticed it, I tried hiding it by pulling my shirt out in front of me (up until then I had worn tight sweaters and tees.  No longer an option today, needless to say.).  I remember kids joking that I was pregnant or making some equally inane comment.  For the most part, though, throughout my adolescence, I was successful in hiding it.  I had one or two kids saying something about it every now and again, but wearing a jacket most of the time or wearing long sleeve shirts usually seemed to fool people.

Of course, I would never take my shirt off, whether it's at the beach, a pool, or anywhere, and to this day I won't reveal it with anyone, unless it's at a doctor's visit.  Never had a girlfriend, never saw the point, pretty much knowing what the reaction would be if I took my shirt off.  Either gawking, or laughing.  I understand that neither reaction would sustain whatever mood spurred me to remove said shirt.  Every excuse I have for never having a significant other is pretty much that.   An excuse.  The only real reason is because of gynecomastia.

Anyways, there's a lot that I could say about this, but for now, what I want to ask most is this:  What would be the first step toward correcting this problem?  Should I contact my primary care doctor, giving her the information I find on this condition, as well as the tests involved, or ask for a referral?

Offline emjay

• Posting Member
You could mention it to your primary care physician.  I just went directly to a couple of plastic surgeons that specialize in this that I found through this site in my area for consultations.  First step is getting the motivation/courage to do something about it.  Good luck.

Offline stratboy

• Posting Member
Do some research on surgeons in your area and try to find someone who maybe went to one of them and see if they were happy. I know a couple people on here who went to their regular doctor and to be honest they didnt really know what to think or say about it. you might have better luck though. I was told for years to just exercise and do pushups all day. NEVER WORKED. So i researched cosmetic surgeons and made my decision.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First of all, it is not a valid excuse for avoiding having a girlfriend. The girls have their own issues to deal with and your slightly enlarged breasts will not bother a girl that is really worth going after. Some guys once fixed me up with a date who had smaller breasts than mine. They thought it was funny. We actually became good friends and she was the only one I was comfortable with swimming at the lake etc. Our problems were at the opposite ends of the same spectrum.

Your start should be with your regular Doctor. Sometimes a General Practicioner or Family Practicianer will be unable to do anything and some have a woeful lack of information about Gynecomastia. Canversely, Some can be a great help.

Ultimately, you will want to confirm that you have no ongoing hormonal problems  (Which may require a consultation with an Endocrinologist) Then surgery to reduce the breast size. (You'll need a good cosmetic surgeon for this)

Do not be tempted to try any of the miracle cures or herbal remedies, there a a number of these around but none really work. They are expensive and do nothing.

Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024