Author Topic: Lots of Questions  (Read 4082 times)

Offline RuffRoad

• Good advice is greatly appreciated.
My soon to be son-in-law was just diagnosed with gynecomatia and I came here to try and obtain some info to help him and us understand exactly what is going on.  In what I've been reading here, some questions have already been answered and I greatly appreciate that.

Some of the pictures showed where only one breast was affected, like my S-I-L's.  Is this common?

If it is, will he experience the same in the other breast or is there really no way to tell?

Could the condition have been brought on or aggrevated by an "injury"?  The reason I'm asking is one of his "friends" goofing around gave him a "titty-twister" and my S-I-L said he felt the enlargement of the breast started to happen after this incident.

He has only seen his general practice doctor who stated that the breast needed to be removed.  My question is, should the other breast be considered for surgery also since the areola is puffy (no real signs of growth and no knots yet)?

Is a second opinion in order or do we go straight to the plastic surgeon?

Is this considered "cosmetic in nature" and not covered by most insurances?

I'd forgotten to ask him if his doctor took blood but if by some strange chance he did not, this is not a strange request, right?  I mean, hormone levels need to be checked, right?

Do they automatically do pathology work on the tissue the excise and check for cancer?

Does anyone know the percentage of males who get cancer with gynecomastia with and without having the breast(s) removed?

Anyone know of an excellent plastic surgeon anywhere in the state of Arkansas?  (Dallas and Memphis are do-able so we'll take recommendations from those areas also.)

Lastly, any and all info will be greatly appreciated.  I want to provide him with as much knowledge about this so he can make informed decisions.  He's just barely 20 and he's like a babe in the woods.

My heart goes out to all of you and I pray for wellness in mind, body, and spirit for you.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
Yes it is common to have just one breast affected by gynecomastia.

He may develop it in his other breast but if he's had it for a few years this is very doubtful.

I do not think that giving somebody a titty twister would call for his breast to enlarge.

If the other breast has a puffy nipple/areola, it should also be considered for gland excision.

Speak with an experienced plastic surgeon who has performed gynecomastia removal several times before with satisfying results.

Gynecomastia is generally considered cosmetic but there's always a chance that the insurance will pay for it if you can prove that it has a detrimental physical / emotional affect on your SIL's life.

Concerning your SIL's hormones, go to www.aace.com, go to Services on the left, and click Find an Endocrinologist.  Enter in your zipcode and it'll pull up a list of all the AACE certified endocrinologists in your area.  Find one that specializes in Reproductive Endocrinology and make an appointment with him/her.  I would not trust a general practice doctor with this situation, and so the endocrinologists' expertise is required.  Blood work should be taken and discussed with the endocrinologist.  Perhaps ask one of the endo's nurses over the phone if he/she is very familiar with gynecomastia and its causes (this is what I did).

From what I understand, pathology is usually an additional cost and is not included in your surgery fee.  Typically the surgeon will be able to tell you how much is removed and what percentage is gland (for example, I had 1000cc on my left breast and 800cc on my right breast removed, 20-25% of it was gland) but a thorough pathology report will probably cost you extra.  Your endocrinologist may request that you get a full pathology report in order to better understand your SIL's situation if he does choose to have surgery.

I do not know the percentage of males who get breast cancer with gyne.

I don't know of any surgeons in your area but I can share my feelings with you.  I'm 18 and just had sugery three days ago after just over a month of waiting.  My photos will show you just how much of a difference the surgery has made on my chest, and I feel so far that it was well worth it.  He should not feel ashamed in getting surgery.
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
nukem2k5 pretty much covered the bases....

If your soon to be SIL's Gyne bothers him, tell him to get checked by an Endocrinologist and then get a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon.

The proceedure ( surgery ) is so simple ( on the patient's part ) and is only a one and a half hour day surgery, that it would be sad not to have it done. I lived with my Gyne for 31 years. Only found out recently that there was such a proceedure that could eradicate the condition. I wish that I had known sooner, as it would have saved alot of grief!

Best of luck to your SIL ( soon-to-be )!

John...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 07:36:06 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline monzo

• Bronze Member
I think 1% of men with gyne get breast cancer

Offline monzo

• Bronze Member
its funny because when I read the posts I picture it being the person with gyne on the other side predending its someone else... I kill myself sometimes  ;D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

its funny because when I read the posts I picture it being the person with gyne on the other side predending its someone else... I kill myself sometimes  ;D

You've lost me here Dude!

John.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!

You've lost me here Dude!

John.

I think he means he thought that RuffRoad was the gyne victim pretending to be someone else.  Like that whole "so I know this guy who likes this girl but hes too afraid to ask her out" sort of thing.

Offline hypo

Just to say that breast cancer only accounts for 1 percent of all male cancers and as a percentage of gynecomastia sufferers is far less than 1 percent.

Testicular cancer does account for 2 percent of all gynecomastia sufferers, understandable to be concerned in the sense of seeing an endocrinologists who specializes in reproductive issues, but very unlikely and not something to lose sleep over.

I see someone has seen that I get endocrinologist listings directly via the aace website.

I posted the link to the site originally a couple of time on the board but people just wouldn't use it which is why I gave up and did the leg work for them.

Maybe people will use it now it has been put on the board again....if not i'll just go back to getting the info for people and you fine fellows can help me :D

Offline RuffRoad

Monzo:  I assure you, I am not pretending to be anyone.  What would I have to gain by trying to play games?  I think I posted some serious questions and I greatly appreciate the helpful and informative information given by everyone.

Graham_ashe:  Good question!  Thankfully, it doesn't appear that he is having any issues regarding this.  He seems comfortable enough to talk about it with my daughter and then with my daughter and me.  We were the ones to insist that he see a doctor.

Nuke:  Thank you very much for your input.  I'll let him know about the endocrinologist and we'll use the link (TY Hypo) to try and locate one in our area.  You're only a couple years younger than my S-I-L, Nuke!  I hope you're recovering nicely after your surgery.

Bambu:  I hadn't thought to ask how long the surgery took or if it was an overnighter so thanks for your input.  How soon does the doctor generally release the patient to go back to work?

Offline RuffRoad

You were the ones to insist he see a doctor? Do you and your daugther have a problem with it? I'd understand completely if you did. It's just that these guys here seem to think that girls usually don't have a problem with men having gyno. I find this hard to believe.

It didn't seem grotesque or repulsive to me, if that is what you mean by problem.  I can't speak for my daughter or for any other woman but as for myself, I think I was looking at it strictly from a mom's point of view, knowing (or thinking) that a breast(s) on a man is not "normal" and how he might feel awkward or embarrassed.  When he showed me his breast and said there was a "knot" in it, I honestly felt (haha, no pun intended) that he needed to have it checked out.    In speaking with my daughter about it, all I detect is concern for his feelings and his health.

Interestingly enough, my SIL has an identical twin.  He said his brother said he has a "lump" in his right breast also.  Do any of you have brothers who are experiencing the same thing?  If so, I guess it wouldn't be so surprising if a twin had it also.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

You were the ones to insist he see a doctor? Do you and your daugther have a problem with it? I'd understand completely if you did. It's just that these guys here seem to think that girls usually don't have a problem with men having gyno. I find this hard to believe.

GA....

I would say ( from experience ) that many girls/women ( women more so, as they are more emotionally/mentally stable ) would not have a problem with Gyne. All my ex GF's never had a prob with my Gyne. My Wife never had a problem with my Gyne. The 'problem', lies in the mind of the sufferer! If a person cares for another, they look beyond physical shortcommings! It's called love and compassion.  ;)

John.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

How soon does the doctor generally release the patient to go back to work?

I think that the PS leaves that up to the patients discretion. JCF let me make the call on when to return to work. As I have a physical job, I took two weeks off. Had to use holiday time though >:(. For someone who has a 'desk' job, I would say give it a few days at home Post-Op, and then you are good-to-go!

What does your STBSIL do for a living RR?

John.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:00:11 PM by Bambu »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I suppose that's true. Men might have a problem with a woman who's got a flat chest, though. At least before they grow to love them.

GA...

D, C, B, A or none.... they still have feelings and deserved to be loved.  ;)

Again I say.... present day society places way too much emphasis on 'Looks'.

Johh.

Offline RuffRoad

I agree, John.  We do put way too much emphasis on the physical attributes and not enough on the person themselves.  I think some people do themselves a disservice because they can't get past the physical and see the inner beauty.

My soon to be SIL is a full-time student and works part-time at a video game store.  He shouldn't have any problems then with the amount of time he'll have to be away from either of these.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

My soon to be SIL is a full-time student and works part-time at a video game store.  He shouldn't have any problems then with the amount of time he'll have to be away from either of these.

Yes, he'll be fine then. A few days rest and then back at it. Keep in mind though, he will be sore for at least a month with limited arm movement. No reaching over his head!

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024