Author Topic: Gynecomastia Surgery and Military Enlistment?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
I have had gynecomastia corrective surgery and I am wondering if this is something that will prevent me from enlisting in the military?  Does anyone know for sure?  I would assume it is not because it is not a debilitating surgery but can someone let me know for sure?

Thanks

DrBermant

I have had gynecomastia corrective surgery and I am wondering if this is something that will prevent me from enlisting in the military?  Does anyone know for sure?  I would assume it is not because it is not a debilitating surgery but can someone let me know for sure?

Thanks

I have operated on many men for gynecomastia before, during, and after serving in the military not only of this country, but also from around the world.  However, I have also seen complications from bad gynecomastia surgery that left the patient with damaged muscle torn from the chest wall that impaired their function. (These were not military individuals.) That is why choosing your surgeon is so critical.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I know for a fact that your having had gyne surgery will not impact you in any way in the military -- either from enlisting or serving.

Thank you for serving our country and best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I'm not a Doctor, But I am an old veteran who was a corpsman. It will cause no problems unless to fail to disclose it in your medical history when you take your physical.

Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
apart from the fact it can destroy your life, medicine generally considers it benign  ;)
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024