Author Topic: gilbert's syndrome  (Read 5022 times)

Offline jack9

• Bronze Member
what does gilbert's syndrome have to do with gynecomastia?  How does it cause it and can it be treated?  Does surgery for this syndrome involve lypo or excision or both?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
what does gilbert's syndrome have to do with gynecomastia?

Yeah! Good question my man! I'd like to know also.

Jon...

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I have gilberts syndrome too.  

It's strange that nobody knows how it's related to gyne.  

I remember a guy did a similar post a year ago and nobody knew.  Even hypo was at a loss.  

I told my ps that I have gilberts and asked him how it's related to gyne and he didn't know.

I've done extensive internet research on the topic and can't find anything.

Offline Blarneystoner

• Gyne sucks
JC, you got your surgery done already, right?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 03:18:45 PM by Blarneystoner »
Please, Jesus, make my gyne go away!

Offline hypo

The liver performs literally hundreds of jobs within the human body.

One of its main jobs/roles is in detoxifying/removing waste products from the body such as excess hormones, drugs etc

8% of all gynecomastia sufferers have liver disease.

This relates to the fact that the liver is responsible for the metabolisation of excess estrogens.

Perhaps, Gilberts Syndrome also falls into this category; perhaps Gilberts Syndrome inhibits the metabolisation of excess estrogen either via the increase in bilirubin or via an underlying genetic factor.

Alternatively perhaps Gilberts Syndrome is associated with gynecomastia because it often occurs in conjunction with another yet unfound chromosomal metabolic gene defect that has yet to be isolated and understood.  (This area of science is rapidly evolving).

It was only in the 1990s that the HFE gene was found that was able to establish the diagnosis of genetic Hemochromatosis.

Of course they are just thoughts/possibilities that come to mind in the absence of any information that I have that explains what the connection is.

If more than a casual relationship/association has been established and is known, then perhaps someone can find this information and bring it to the attention to the board.

Until then I guess it is best to just lump Gilberts Syndrome in with Liver disease and assume that it is linked to gynecomastia via a similar action- poor metabolisation of estrogen.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
JC, you got your surgery done already, right?

No.  I've saved the money and have picked a surgeon.  

In 4 years, my weight went from a very muscular (except the chest) 167 pounds, up to a fat 241 pounds. Yes, that's a 74 pound gain.  :'(

I've lost about 35 pounds and am down to about 205.  

I'm committed to being in shape for my surgery.  I'd like to get down to 175.  Been working out and eating healthy for about 5 months.  

------Welcome back.  ;) You know who you are.  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 04:38:33 PM by jc71 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024