Author Topic: Fat distribution - bigger worry than gyne  (Read 6836 times)

Offline iwannabefree

• Bronze Member
Hi guys. I have huge breasts, but lately the condition had slightly improved a bit after i lost some weight.

However, now i'm gaining the weight back and I'm not sure if its all in my head (or that its the summer season). but unlike most men, a disproportionate amount of fat is being deposited in my hips and chest. I have massive love handles, but not a prominent gut like most dudes.

This is a very little discussed topic. For many men, fat distribution is just as much of a concern as gynecomastia. Doctors, fellow sufferers, pls give your thoughts.

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
If I was morbidly obese, I'd consider having the surgical procedure that significantly reduces the size of the stomach.  That's really the only way for people who have significant weight issues to do anything about their weight.  Going on diets all your life never works, or maybe I should say works for about 1 out of 100 people.  Nobody can diet their entire life. 

If you're morbidly obese, I'd consider the stomach surgery.  You WILL lose weight with that procedure, guaranteed.  And it's for a lifetime. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct.  Losing weight first is the very best choice.  If you are morbidly obese (ie BMI over 40), then consider a radical dieting plan or perhaps a gastric bypass procedure -- which is now safer than ever.

Once you have lost the weight and stabilized at your new weight for about a year, you will be a candidate for trimming your "birthday suit."  This may include abdominal surgery to tighten the loose and overhanging skin as well as gyne surgery -- which may be more involved than the routine case where the skin is now lax.

Fat distribution will vary with every individual.  It is best to lose the weight overall -- and then consult a surgeon about reducing any remaining stubborn bulges of fat as well as tightening any loose skin.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline iwannabefree

• Bronze Member
OMG, everyone here just wants to push one agenda and thats it --- surgery. No one wants to talk about the medical reasons behind some of these symptoms.

I am NOT morbidly obese, but am gaining weight in the areas where females generally tend to. Any particular reason why?

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
With your usage of such terms as "huge" breasts and "massive" love handles, as well as your statement of again gaining weight in your hips and chest, it suggested that you have significant weight issues.  If that's not the case, sorry for the misunderstanding.  

I don't know about the causes of individual fat and weight distribution, but I don't know that it's really important to know.  What we do know is that weight loss can make the condition of gynecomastia look better, but even body builders have residual "man boobs," and they are in the best condition you could possibly be in.  So the only option is surgery.  If one has "pseudo-gynecomastia," where there is only fat in the chest and no actual tissue growth, then yes, losing weight alone may be all that's necessary.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Even if we leave out your use of the terms huge and massive, You started a thread on the subject of fat distribution.

If your concern was that the pattern of fat distribution is more typically female than male we have a different issue altogether and you should be seeking the advice of an Endocrinologist who has a special interest in male reproductive issues. This is an area where very specific expertise is required. An Endocrinologist who has a primary interest in liver disease, diabetes, or whatever will be of little help.
Grandpa Dan

Offline lezgetitdone

• Posting Member
Tell me your height, and weight.

I went from 230-170 pounds before.  I use to have a HUGE belly, chest, and lovehandles at 230 and down.  All of them went signifcantly down!  I cant tell you how many hundreds of comments I have heard and still hear everyday from the different person I look like now.  I went from a size 38 and can fit in a 32 now to give you an idea on how big my stomach/lovehandles are.

If I can do it you will too. 

Offline TheOregonKid

• Posting Member
We all store fat in different places and this is largely based on genetics.  This issue is talked a lot about amongst women and they have even named particular body types (banana, apple, pear, hourglass).

In guys, haven't you ever noticed the dudes who are as skinny as a rail but have a beer belly that looks like a basketball?  What about men without gyno who pack weight onto a big "barrel chest."  I have noticed plenty of fat dudes who seem to carry the lion's share of their weight from the waist down.

If you are gaining weight then it's time to take control back.  If you had the will and discipline to drop 50 lbs then it should be no sweat maintaining a healthy weight.  I suggest investing the money in a high quality bathroom scale if you don't have one and weighing yourself at the same time of day at least 3 days a week.  I check my weight every morning and the results largely determine how much I eat during the day.  Plus, continual monitoring allows you to catch the problem when its just 2 new pounds before it become 20!
“Whoever despises himself still esteems the despiser within himself” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Endless

• Silver Member
dude, i have the same prob. not with the love handles but with the chest.
i just had surgery 3 days ago! the doctor gave me Lipo only. no gyne removal! it was all fat he said, and this was coming from someone who does Gyne all the time. I was one of the 5% who had all fat!

I got love handles as well but not that bad. Btw, i am a thin person. Small boned and thin, athletic, but even when i am at my thinnest (bodyfat to muscle ratio) i still have chest fat, very noticeable.

The surgery for me and healing after was wayyyyyyyy easier than i thought. The way u describe it you're not 'obese' but lipo recovery is 1/2 the time of Gyne removal my doctor said.

Exercising and working out didn't fix the problem for me, and i really became an exercise addict becoz of this throughout my life.. 14 years. I'm optimistic about the results, the price was cheap for me. I'm not pushing for surgery but in my case, so far so good. havn't seen the results yet though

Offline Endless

• Silver Member
seen the results. still skin looseness though but huge improvement. im happy.

the way the body works with exercise is they say theres like this bell curve, if u go too thin, it pushes u back to ur default weight. to fix the ugly fat distribution problems, i'd have to become exercise-bulemic, hardcore, which is what happened, and even at my best shape, not satisfied. I just kept saying, no i need a better muscle - fat percent. maybe go for 1%, so i pushed and pushed until i reached the stage where i thought this is it.. this is the most i can go and still.. then i got really depressed and just decided to have surgery once and for all

Offline dopinder123

i have this problem too and makes my really sad, anyone with a solution?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024