Author Topic: 2-Weeks Today, Mon 06-18-12 And UPDATES  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Today, June 18, 2012, is the 2-week mark since I had my surgery and I am happy to report that I'm doing fine both physically and emotionally  :)

Here's a rundown of my experiences since that Monday, June 04, 2012:

BACKGROUND INFO  :-[
I had mild/moderate gynecomastia since hitting puberty. Although it wasn't as bad as some, it was pretty obvious that my chest had a more feminine appearance than most guys and my nipples, including the aureola, was bigger than normal. I was self-conscious about it, so like most guys with this condition, I started working out like mad. That helped somewhat, but it was still noticeable. Even at my physical peak with low body fat and well muscled, my nipples still protruded and were pointy.

Even at that stage, which was in my early 20s, I accepted it and moved on. However, I started gaining weight in my mid-30s, and when I quit my nearly 20-year smoking habit, I really packed on some pounds, which went straight to my chest and my stomach.

This was at age 37, I'm 41 now, and during that time in-between, I threw myself into working out doing P90X, which took me awhile to complete, but I was able to shed about 40-pounds and went from waist 38 to 34, which is where I'm at now and at a healthy weight 184lbs at 5' 9" (though I'd like to be down to 175lbs).

Of course, my gynecomastia was really obvious after the weight gain and it didn't go away after I lost the weight. I even tried those creams that are supposed to help you lose/burn fat in targeted areas, and while it did make my chest sweat more during my workouts, it didn't do anything to make them look smaller or less flabby. To make matters worse, I was getting wrinkle lines under my breasts, and when I bent over they looked like a nursing dog's titties. When I would do jumping jacks, I could feel my chest heaving up and down, becoming somewhat painful, and even through all this I kept the hope that they'd go down.

Well, the final straw came when I was doing yoga and it was hot so I took off my shirt (at home) and I was doing upward dog and I caught my reflection in the mirror and my moobs, including the nipples, were akimbo. I kid you not, my chest looked like the eyes of those lizards that can move each eye, independently from one another, 360-degrees around. That's when I knew I needed surgery.

DAY OF SURGERY  :o
I'll discuss my doctor in another thread, but I'm really glad I chose him. Anyway, on that day, the anesthesiologist comes in and starts an IV into my arm and gives me something that calms me down, though I'm not nervous, and it makes me feel quite lovely, drunk almost. My doctor comes in and marks me up, tells me to flex etc., and then we go to the surgery room. There, they put an oxygen mask on me, and I tell them that it's kind of hard to exhale into the mask, so they give me more oxygen, and the next thing I know, I'm waking up in the recovery room -- fully dressed! Time of the actual surgery was about two hours, but I've no recollection.

I'm groggy and I have some recall of the staff coming in and checking on me, and then someone comes in and tells me that they called my ride. I remember turning on my cell phone ringer, and then I must have knocked out again because the next thing I know my ride is there.

Here's a mistake I made: since I was in the recovery room by myself, in a wheelchair (I didn't know I was in a wheelchair  ::) ), I got up and went to the door, opened it, and announced that my ride was there, much to the horror of the staff that were like "you're not supposed to be standing up and walking around!" Anyway, I got nauseous after that, which lasted until I got home. TIP # 1 Don't get up and walk around while still in recovery!

AT HOME AFTER SURGERY
At home, I basically slept on and off all day. I took 2 pain killers about an hour after getting home and continued taking one pill every 4-6 hours on the first two days. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say my pain was at 7. It wasn't really pain, but more of soreness and inflammation. It felt like an itchy heat type of feeling, the kind you get when you leave a massager/vibrator on one spot of you skin too long and all the blood rushes to that site.

I had my compression vest on, which was over two pads that provided further compression over my nipples.

BTW, everything was done through my aureola because I have a tendency to get keloid (raised scars) on my chest, so when my PS saw that I had some old scars, he decided to do as few incisions as possible.

Because of the nausea, I was only able to eat crackers, and drink water and club soda on that first day, and I really didn't have much of an appetite.  

The next few days were pretty much the same, though I did move on to soup, salads, and fruit for meals.

WEDNESDAY, DAY 3, SHOWER DAY
This was the first day that I was allowed to shower, and would also be the first day that I would be able to view my new chest. I was excited but also very reserved because I know, going by the experience of many on this website, that 3-days in not a good gauge of where you are at in the grand scheme of surgery and healing.

I really didn't know what to expect, but I guess I was bracing myself for the worst.

Anyway, I removed my compression vest and then slowly removed the two pads that were covering much of my chest (those would be replaced by two new ones). I was very surprised to see that there was only a minimal amount of blood in the pads, along with some gauze, considering how some guys have reported a lot of drainage.

My second surprise was that my chest was totally flat. I really couldn't believe it, and it was very strange to look in the mirror and see this chest that looked like a teenaged boy's chest. When I looked down, I was also shocked that I didn't see the twin peaks staring back at me.

The right side, under my armpit was extremely bruised purple and red, while the left had very little except a big bruise near my shoulder. My nipples had tape under them, and the aureola was flat, but the nipples still protrude, which is fine by me (but I think it's because the tape is underneath them) and the left nipple is really bruised, while the right is almost normal color.

I threw my compression vest in the wash and when I put it in the dryer, I took my shower, being very careful not to disturb the incision site. It wasn't too bad, but I was instructed not to make big movements with my arms or raise them high above my head for the first few days, so I was taking extra care in the shower.

After that, I put the clean pads back on, and put my compression vest on, which I think might have shrank a little in the dryer.

THURSDAY 1ST POST OP VISIT
Today I went in for my post-op visit and was able to drive myself to the office. Everything looks good, still bruised and a little swollen, but I'm off the pain pills just taking Extra Strength Tylenol. My PS is happy with the way it looks and in healing, so I'm scheduled for my second post-op in 3 weeks, June 28.

I'm still sore, but it's more like that itchy pain I was talking about. I have to wear the pads underneath the compression vest for one more week. The straps are itching my shoulders so I put some cornstarch baby powder under them and that helps relieve that.

Of course, this is the day my uncle gets an appendicitis and has to go to the emergency room for surgery, he was supposed to be my caregiver, so I have to go to the emergency room. He has surgery, which was quicker than mine, but the hospital wants to keep him for two days for observation because he's old and overweight. So, I have to go to the hospital on Friday and then pick him up on Saturday and all the physical activity has my chest really itching, so I start icing it, which really helps.

FIRST WEEKEND AT HOME
It's pretty much the same. After bringing my uncle home, I basically stay in bed, icing my chest, taking my antibiotics etc. Sunday, my friend comes over to take me to dinner. I stay home from work on Monday and stay in bed. The extra rest really helps me feel much better and the swelling and bruising is really subsiding fast.

FIRST WEEK
Swelling is really going away and that "swooshing" sound that I felt (heard?) in my chest is gone, as well as the bruising under my arms. The tape is still under my nipples, but I'm listening to my PS who says just leave it there until it falls off.

As far as sensation on or around the nipples, I have some sensation but it's still sort of numb but that's to be expected.

Pain has gone down considerably, and I only feel soreness around my pecs when I press down, so I've started massaging the area.

I also bought another compression vest to wear, while the first one is drying, because I don't want to throw it in the dryer again.

I'm also back at work, but I have a desk job so there isn't any physical stress involved in it.

SECOND WEEKEND
Even though I can move around more now and not get too much inflammation in my chest, I'm basically staying in bed and resting, whenever I can. Icing and massaging, and taking it easy as much as possible. Looks wise, my chest looks great, but again there's still a lot of healing and other changes going on internally, and it maybe premature to say definitively that this is will be my end result, so I'm not clapping my hands just yet.

I can't wait until I get the OK to start working out again. In the meantime, I'm trying to eat healthy and using this calorie counter app on my iPhone to track my caloric intake, since the only exercise I'm getting right now is walking the dog.

I do feel a little soreness across the pecs when I raise my arms above my head and reach for something, but that's about it.

Every now and then I do get some slight pain, not sharp, that goes across my nipple/chest area, but nothing too bad, and its instantaneous, coming and going very quickly.

Also, I'm still wearing my compression vest 24-7.

I hope everyone else is having a good recovery as well.

So that's been it, guys. I'll update again when I reach another milestone or if anything dramatic happens.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:04:35 AM by Hi_Top_Guy »

Offline Deuces

Congrats on your progress so far.  Tomorrow morning I'll be going under the knife.  Your post has been more than helpful with realistic expectations.  I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.  I can't wait to get this over with.  I'm already getting impatient about the recovery time and I haven't even had the surgery yet.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Good luck, Deuces! You should be recovering by now. I hope it all went smoothly and you update with your progress when you feel up to it.  :)

I'm doing good, but so more bruising popped up around my chest area, not bad but just a little bit. Otherwise nothing to report. Although the tape is starting to come off, not completely and I don't want to force it off.

Offline Deuces

Everything is going well so far. The day of surgery was a little painful. The pain pills took care of everything for the most part. The day after I was allowed to take the vest off and shower. I'm still amazed at how flat my chest looks. I realize it's early and there will be many more changes before the final result, but it's still a great feeling. I have heavy red and purple bruising under my armpits on both sides. Other than that, nothing too bad. There's more swelling on one side which kinda makes everything look lopsided but I'm sure everything will balance out in a few weeks. I'd say the hardest part of this whole process is sitting on my ass waiting for everything to heal. Can't wait to get the okay to workout. Hope all is going well.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
That's good news, Deuces! I'm doing well except for soreness/tenderness on and around my pecs, but only when I press down on that area.

I can't wait until I can get back to working out as well. Just think, next year at this time, unless the Mayan prediction comes true  :o , we should be more than ready for summer!

hammer

Don't push down! And ignore Mayan! Enjoy life!

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Thanks, Hammer!  ;D

3 1/2 WEEKS & 2ND POST OP VISIT
Went in for my second post-op visit today, June 28, 2012, and my doctor removed the tape that was covering the incisions. Those pesky tapes stayed on tight, except for the sides, through all my showering and such.  :D

He says that I'm coming along nicely and I go in for my next post-op visit in 5-weeks. So far no big changes to report other than my left nipple, some of the darkened scabs have come off so it looks more like the right one. I still have some minor bruising on the top of my pecs, and there's still some discoloration on under my arms where the really bad bruising was right after surgery.

But I'm able to move around much more without having the itchy feeling in my chest. Next week I can start exercising, yay, ;D which I'm going to start off slowly since it'll be 4-weeks since I've actually worked out!

Also, I still have to wear my compression vest for 2 more weeks but I'm actually getting used to it.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
4 WEEKS AND BACK TO EXERCISE
I got the OK to start working out again from my doctor. Yesterday was my first workout and is the beginning of week 4 of my recovery.

I'll have to say that I'm easing back into working out. I was doing P90X, but since I've been doing nothing at all for the past 4-5 weeks I'm going about it really slowly. I started with the Power90 workout yesterday and lightened the amount of weight I normally lift.

The only thing I can say is that I was going at about 75% of what my normal intensity is during a workout, and I noticed that my right shoulder seemed to tire out quickly and become a little sore and that is something that I haven't experienced before. But I was able to make it through with little trouble and that included doing push-ups.  ;D

Other than that there's not much else to report. I hope everyone else is healing nicely, as well.

Happy 4th of July!

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
2 Months & (almost) 2 Weeks  :D

Not much to report except that I've hit the two month post-surgical mark, two weeks ago! I no longer have to wear my compression vest, although I do wear one to sleep at night, and my doctor says that I'm coming along nicely and that my results look very natural.

I still have some soreness when I press down around my nipple area and it feels a little tight when I stretch and do my workouts.

Best of all, I'm wearing my light colored tees and NO BOOBIES jiggling and stuff.  ;D I can wear white tee shirts now.

Will post another update in another month or so, or if anything dramatic happens.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Just Passed the 4 Month Mark

October 4 was the four month point for me and everything is GREAT.

I've been back to working out regularly and things are settling and healing nicely. I can't be HAPPIER with my results!  ;D

I've got my follow up appointment tomorrow.

The only thing that has come up is that every now and then my nipples and aureolas have an itchy feeling, sometimes with sharp pain that comes and goes quickly, but I've read that this could be the nerves reconnecting. My nips are still somewhat numb, but otherwise nothing major has been happening on the outside.

Offline nomore-jiggles

• Posting Member
hope you still continue to recover smoothly.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Today marks the 6-month point for me since I had my surgery.  ;D

I didn't even realize it until I looked on the calendar.

The only thing to report is the soreness is now only concentrated in my nipple/aureola area, sometimes I feel some brief sharp pains in the nipple, but that's about it. I understand that this is because the nerves are reconnecting and so it's to be expected.

My doctor is happy with the results and so am I, so I don't have to go back (unless something very odd pops up but I doubt that will happen).

Looking down now, I can't even remember what my chest looked like before (other than I had moobs). It's amazing, when I used to bend over to wash my face my gynecomastia was really obvious looking somewhat like cow udders. Now, no hanging, jiggling, or anything like it; and this is bending over!

:D

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Great news on the results. I am sure the minor remaining pain will subside.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Thanks, Greatlakes. It gets better week by week.  :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024