Author Topic: Surgery in Singapore/Malaysia  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Tqy

Just a journal here to document my thoughts and journey. Anyone is welcome to share their experience here :)

I had been bothered by the condition since the age of 8. I am 29 now. There's 21 years of shame and humiliation. Finally, I plucked up the courage and wanted to do something bout it before my 30th birthday.

Some stats about me. 170cm, 89kg. Yes I am overweight( the boobs were with me even when i was 60kg)and I am working hard to lose another 8kg before my surgery in Nov. It's bloody hard I must say.

As always, the most common problem with the surgery is the cost. Hence I am having a dilemma whether to get the procedure done in Singapore or Malaysia.

I have consulted few Drs  so far, both in Singapore and Malaysia and will list down their differences here in terms of cost and location.

Singapore
1. Dr Colin Tham (SGD 7500 including GST -  Day surgery @ Private Clinic, Local anaesthetic, if GA need to add another 1.5k for anaesthetist, they charge 800SGD per hour)
2. Prof Foo Chee Liam (SGD 8000-9000 including blood tests (check liver + hormones) + GA+1 night hosp stay in SGH )

Malaysia
1. Dr Heng Kien Seng (RM 12000 + (RM3000 on flights and hotel stay for a week), approx SGD5000 - Day surgery @ Private clinic +GA + 6 follow up treatments with infra red massage,
2. Dr Ananda Dorai   (RM 12000 + (RM3000 on flights and hotel stay for a week), approx SGD5000+GA+ including 1 night hospital stay @ Tropicana Medical Centre).

All doctors will perform excision + liposuction except Dr Dorai, whose professional opinion thinks that liposuction should do the job. As an allied health worker, I do believe the skills of the surgeon are more important than the technique used. But just for the info, Dr Colin and Dr Heng uses VASER lipo, while Prof Foo uses Power assisted lipo with microdebrider to excise the fat and gland. Not too sure about Dr Dorai as I forgot to ask.

Of all four of the surgeons that I consulted, only Dr Colin and Dr Dorai showed me some of the pictures of their previous operations and the results are pretty amazing. As for Prof Foo and Dr Heng, I saw some pictures of other members from this forum or lowyat forum, which are equally awesome. Both Prof Foo and Dr Heng noticed I have this natural chest asymmetry issue (shown in the photos below), sadly nothing can be done, hopefully having the surgery might make it look less pronouced.

All four doctors are board certified in malaysia and Singapore. From what I have seen, I would prefer Prof Foo if money is not a problem. HOWEVER, money is indeed a problem LOL

After much consideration, I've narrowed down to either Prof Foo or Dr Heng.

The only reserved I have with Dr Heng is that I read a negative review about a breast augmentation from a female forumer, which she discribed as unacceptable. Whereas most of his gynecomastia patients are happy with their results. Here are some links to that patient's result
BEFORE - https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=64441188

AFTER - https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=64372165

THE STUFF THEY TOOK OUT OF MY CHEST - https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=63595743

As for Prof Foo, his results are marvelous.  But he is damn expensive. Previously shared by a forumer here http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31400.msg201189#msg201189

Lately I am so troubled by the problem I could not focus on my work and my life. I planned to get this done by December this year.

I am still torn between which surgeon to choose.  Sigh.

Time is ticking.

Offline Gynecomastia Singapore

• Posting Member
Hi bro, i did my first surgery w colin. Check my full post on that.

Went ok. But wasnt satisfied w the results. Sufficient glands and fat werent removed.

Doing my revision w Foo tomorrow (19th aug 2017). Have heard good reviews on him. 8 am is my op. Feeling a bit nervous. Hoping I can get rid of this problem for life. Affected me in a big way.

I will post a full post op update soon.

Offline Ruben

"Not too sure about Dr Dorai as I forgot to ask."

He claims to do Body Jet Water Lipo, and he also claimed during my consultation that lipo would be enough. To be very frank with you, I think you dodged a pretty major bullet by not choosing him. My case was very obviously largely glandular, and lipo alone would have done little.

When I finally got the surgery done (via Vaser & excision), they showed me just the excised gland - it comfortably filled half of a large plastic container. So much for lipo alone : )

Another warning bell - during my consultation he made several misleading remarks on scarring. Fortunately I was well-informed enough to detect it.

Just a note of caution about reading glowing reviews on sites like WhatClinic - they (the clinics) pay for the space and are allowed to censor reviews as part of their WhatClinic terms of service - virtually ensuring that no negative reviews ever make it through.

Does that mean the clinic is necessarily bad?

No.

But it does mean that you're getting a very skewed sample of reviews - only the ones that put the clinic in a good light. So proceed with great caution.

It's impossible to overstate the importance of research into surgeons - and to be able to see through marketing gimmicks and reach the real track record.

Your op depends on it!

Offline Tqy

Thanks bro for your valueable input.

May I know where you did your surgery?

Offline Ruben

Was with Dr Heng in the end. So far so good - looking nice & flat, but perhaps too early to judge final result (one week only). As we all know it's a long journey : )

Offline bluestrudels

• Posting Member
Was with Dr Heng in the end. So far so good - looking nice & flat, but perhaps too early to judge final result (one week only). As we all know it's a long journey : )

How did it go? Do you mind showing post ops pics? 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024