Author Topic: Bra Vs. Compression Shirt  (Read 3551 times)

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
Question: For those of you who have tried both a bra and a compression shirt, which one do you prefer?

Background: I have been having an issue with what I call "sensitive boobs". (See my post in General Talk for more detail). Anyway, they develop an annoying achiness from time to time and I have found that wearing a bra reduces the discomfort due to the compression. At my Dr. checkup a while back, I told him wearing a bra helped it, but that I was self conscious that someone would notice. He told me to keep using support and compression and suggested a compression shirt might work if I didn't want to wear a bra. I have looked at several compression shirts online and am planning to order one, but got to wondering how many of you have already tried both and what you decided you liked best.

I don't check this forum every day, so may not respond right away but any help is greatly appreciated!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Bob

Offline Johndoe1

It will depend on how large your breasts are. For me personally, at a DD, a bra is WAY more comfortable than a compression shirt. After a short time, my breasts begin to ache being squished down flat, particularly around the aerola. But in a proper fitting and supportive bra, I can go all day with no aching in the breasts. For me it comes down to comfort for me verses appearance since I can manipulate how the girls look with the style bra and what top and how I wear it.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
Johndoe1 - Thank you for the information. The bra I wear is a 38B and I lack just a little of filling it out. I don't think I need the support as much as the compression. Anyway, thank you for the response!

gmast

Question: For those of you who have tried both a bra and a compression shirt, which one do you prefer?
I tried the compression shirts, but having having them squeezing around my stomach was uncomfortable.  I've tried the compression bras.  They are much better than a compression shirt, but I'm ready to take them off after 3 or 4 hours.  I tried racerback encapsulated sports bras and found them much more comfortable.  I'm about your size, but was only able to find three types in this style that fit.  Two are encapsulated, but also provide some compression.  They are comfortable, but after 6-8 hours, I'm ready to get them off.  I found one encapsulated bra that does does not provide compression.   It is much more comfortable, and I can wear it all day, but it also gives a more feminine shape, so it is more obvious if someone is looking for it.

aboywithgirls

For me, it's an easy choice. A regular  underwire bra is what I wear every day from the time I get out of the shower until I go to bed. Even in bed, I wear a sleep / leisure bra. Im a 38H, so a compression shirt doesn't work. I would recommend that you get professionally fitted with a regular supportive bra. It is well worth the time and money. 

Offline Emcginty

• Posting Member
I am probably the same size as you and I have found that normal sports bras work great.  I wear regular bras as well and get just as much comfort from them as I do pullover sports bras. 

Compression shirts I use when I have to do something and I am concerned about being busted with a bra.

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
GMAST - Thank you. I was wondering about the compression shirt squeezing around my stomach. Also wondering about the sports bras. I appreciate the response.

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
ABOYWITHGIRLS - Thank you for the suggestion. Will have to go out of town for a fitting if it comes to that. I wear a cheap no wire Warner bra from Wal Mart and it's okay, provides compression and reduces the achy discomfort.

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
EMCGINTY - Thank you for the response. I have wondered about sports bras, but there are so many available (regular bras too). My concern with the bra I wear is having people notice. Not so much strangers, but people I'm around a lot. I was afraid the sports bras might be even more noticeable.

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
If you would even consider a compression shirt, then I think there are a lot of bralettes that would be more comfortable and do the job for people with smallish breasts.  Some are marketed as sports bras.  Most sports bras however seem to scream, "Look!  Look!" with their styling, knotts, lots of straps, whatever.  Bralettes like the Jockey Modern Micro and the Coobie 9060, if someone can see it at all, will just look like you're wearing a tank-top-type undershirt, certainly nothing to attract attention and curiosity.  I have a few of the Jockey Modern Micro which is seamless, so lines, if any, are minimal, and pretty easy to hide if your shirt has contrasting stripes or plaid pattern.  The only problem I have with it—and it's minor—is that it bites into the front of my shoulders just a tad.  A much cheaper no-name Chinese copy I got is a little worse in this regard.  I find the Jockey Air Seamfree more comfortable.  It has very narrow straps with tiny adjusters in the back, and so far I've gotten away with it at a couple of family Christmas gatherings, wearing a plaid flannel shirt (plus undershirt) over it.  These are available in skin color.  The hugs sometimes make me wonder, but when I feel what little there is to feel on my back, I think it could just pass for wrinkles and seams in my undershirt.  At least there's no lumpy hook-and-eye closure.  I've gotten to where I want a bralette all the time.  If I'm home, I try to see how long I can go without it, but after a couple of hours, I think, "That's enough irritation!  Go put on a bra[lette]!"

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
MARCOB - Thank you for the suggestions. I checked out the Jockey Modern Micro on Amazon.com. Looks like a good option!

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
Only thing I can add is that when I don't wear a bra but want support, and mild compression, I've found the UnderArmour products do the job.  They come in tight, moderate and loose, so you choose, and are NOT noticeable.  I wear them when hunting (which they are kind of made for anyway) or in cold weather or extreme physical activity.  Don't like them for every day - all day wear, too restrictive.
There are several competitor brands that have similar shirts (Nike, Champion, etc.).

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
MOOBZIE - Thank you for the suggestion. I'm still comparing compression shirts so I'll check out UnderArmor. I like the not noticeable part!

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
EVERYONE - Back to my original question, "which do you prefer?" I believe the results of my unscientific survey indicate that most prefer a bra to the compression shirt. The comments have been helpful.

Thank you all for your input!

Bob

p.r.1974

Having tried both, I prefer unlined underwire over any of the compression vests for all the reasons above.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024