Author Topic: Compression vest too tight???? Help.  (Read 10966 times)

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
To the guys who have, or are presently using a compression vest...is it supposed to be extremely tight???  Around my chest is fine tension wise, but the 'clasps' along the centre front area are digging into me, and its too tight around my midsection (yes I have some fat but not excessive)  and its almost unbearable.   Mine has a zipper up the centre along with metal clasps that act as insurance for the zipper every few inches from bottom to top.  My PS was Dr. Lista, and I see him Monday, but I thought I'd post as I sit here uncomfortable...

Offline readytoswim

• Posting Member
I had surgery Friday morning and I feel the same way as PeterBateman.  I can't tell if my compression vest is is too tight.  It almost feels like I am short of breath with all this crap on.  With mine I have these big bulky pieces of foam that make it worse.  It greatly restricts mobility and lessens comfort.  Not to mention you can't go out in public with the foam.

Does anyone know what the point of the foam is?  Reading about other peoples' vests on here, it doesn't sound like there are many that use the foam.

When I took my foam pieces out last night to wash them(even while still using the tensors), oh my god, it felt so much better.

I don't go see the doctor until the 26th, so that is several more days of extreme discomfort.  I just want to validate taking these damn foam things off before then.

I will never forget this place when I become a rich and famous underwear model!

Offline tittyman111

• Bronze Member
dude its not supposed to be tight to the point of trouble breathing. use common sense.  just make sure its firm. not TIGHT

Offline harmon570

• Posting Member
my doc said not too tight.  he was able to slide his hand between my chest and the vest. it is my understanding that you are better off with no vest then one that is too tight, you might want to call your doc. im about two weeks post op. i had a large and ex large, i used the XL for 2 - 3 days then just the large. breathing should not be hard and the clips and zipper never dug into me. they are not comfortable but certainly don't cause any pain.
Good Luck!

Offline readytoswim

• Posting Member
dude its not supposed to be tight to the point of trouble breathing. use common sense.  just make sure its firm. not TIGHT

No shit, dude.  Obviously if I am really having trouble breathing, I'm going to loosen it up or take it off.  It's not tight to the point where I cannot slide my hand up between my skin and the foam.  This is the same tension that I had on it when I awoke from surgery.  I think more than anything it is the damn foam that is just so bulky and cumbersome.

I also think they sized me wrong on the vest.  I have a small which goes up to a 40 inch and I am 6'1 185 lbs.  I think I should at least be wearing a medium or large, but the doc supposedly knows best.

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
i'm wearing mine right now and it's uncomfortable. but it has become better. right after surgery (the 1st 3 days) it was VERY uncomfortable and it did leave me a little short of breath--not terribly, but i did feel a little short of breath. but now that some of the swelling has gone down it's better (although not great). what drives me crazy is that the part near my underarms (the elastic part) is rubbing into my skin and rubbing it raw. i had to take some small cotton pads and stick them under that part. ouch!

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
they measured my chest befor the op, and it was 37.  I am 6'1" and 191 lbs.  I woke up with a size 'Small' vest on.  Like i said, the chest area is pefect...but my stomach i wish i had another inch of relief...

Offline readytoswim

• Posting Member
Bradley07 or PeterBateman,

Do either of you have the bulky foam, or just the tensioners?

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
no foam, just elastic vest, with adjustable velcro at the shoulders, and down the centre from top to bottom a zipper with metal clips to double up the strength of zipping it together.  behind the zipper and clips is a thin (too thin) cotton type padding to supposedly stop them from irritating the skin, but my vest is so tight that its not helping, unless i put some cotton batting behind it.

Offline readytoswim

• Posting Member
It seems like my doc is one of the only ones that use foam.  I might take mine out today.

When I washed my foam yesterday and went for an hour without wearing it, only wearing the vest/tensioner, it was like night and day.  It felt so much more comfortable without the foam.

Also, Peter, have you been waking up with back pain from your vest?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:28:53 AM by readytoswim »

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
No, just pissed off from having had to sleep on my back the whole irritating night.  

Offline tittyman111

• Bronze Member
wear an underarmour shirt or any shirt under the vest if its irritating ur skin , etc...

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
yeah, doc said i could put any other kind of shirt (preferably a button-up so i don't have to raise my arms above my head) underneath the vest. so you still get the compression without the irriation.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024