Author Topic: How long for swelling to go down - Dr. Fielding  (Read 18653 times)

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
I had my surgery on July 13th with Dr. Fielding.  I'm very happy with the right side.  It looks amazing.  I had major swelling on the left side (hemotoma I think it's called).  A lot of blood accumalated in my left chest cavity.  I saw Dr. Fielding last Friday and he reopened my stitches to drain the blood.  It is noticably smaller but still swollen.

Dr. Fielding said in time it will go down and look like the right side.  I'm not worried because I do know it will go down.  The doctor said it could take up to 2 months.  I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and if so, how long did that kind of swelling take to go down?  I know the healing process is different for everyone but I would like to know if it took 2 months, shorter, longer.  
The left chest feels like a hard, tough piece of rubber.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 11:00:35 AM by Gyn.org »

DrBermant

I had my surgery on July 13th with Dr. Fielding.  I'm very happy with the right side.  It looks amazing.  I had major swelling on the left side (hemotoma I think it's called).  A lot of blood accumalated in my left chest cavity.  I saw Dr. Fielding last Friday and he reopened my stitches to drain the blood.  It is noticably smaller but still swollen.

Dr. Fielding said in time it will go down and look like the right side.  I'm not worried because I do know it will go down.  The doctor said it could take up to 2 months.  I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and if so, how long did that kind of swelling take to go down?  I know the healing process is different for everyone but I would like to know if it took 2 months, shorter, longer.  
The left chest feels like a hard, tough piece of rubber.  

Uneven swelling after surgery can happen from many different reasons such as original problem, anatomy, surgical technique, complications, and how you heal among other factors.  Sometimes one side is just that much more difficult.

How much swelling after surgery can depend on the original problem, surgical techniques, skill of your surgeon, how you heal, and other factors.  Posting standardized pictures can be helpful if you want others to see what you are talking about.  However, if you are concerned about your swelling, your doctor is the best for specific answers about what is going on.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline makesmesad

• Posting Member
Hey...Blitz any update on this? I have the EXACT same thing (large chest cavity, at least 1.5"-2" sticking OUT filled with blood

this nurse lady i saw (he wasnt at st joes when i went down) said over time it would go away.,but im not sure she knew what she was talking about, i asked her if a compression vest would help scarring/swelling to go down and she lookated at me puzzled and handed me a single strip of tansor bandage....but you think draining is the answer? or compression vest?

ANYONE ELSE KNOW?

it hurts like a mother fucker right now and im not quite sure what to do..call him?

I had surgery Jul 20..

^-- What you see in the black near my lower chest there is  all purple/black swelling, and im yellow all over :(

Can anyone help?  ???

Also - Did it seem to you like fleming ran away after surgery? took money and ran..i was sore as hell and the nurse had to go GET him because he didnt come down for a post op consult (which at the time i didnt find rude..but thinknig about it now, itd be nice to know how it went)

he was brief and got out quick..said nothing of a possible hematoma?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 08:37:12 PM by makesmesad »

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
makesmesad:

Who did your operation?
You say it was done at St-Joes, so I am assuming that you got it done by Dr. Fielding?

It looks like fluid buildup,(but what do I know) I would call your doc and have that checked out.

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
hematoma - a large bruise or collection of blood under the skin, producing discoloration and swelling in the area. It is usually caused by trauma.

I got about 20 definitions when I typed in hematoma on the web and they all basically had the same description.  

Your results look like mine and Dr. Fielding did call it a hematoma.  I know you want both sides to look perfect but I'm just happy knowing that in time, the hematoma will go down and both sides will look the same.  My right side looks amazing and so does yours.  He said it could take up to a few months to heal.  I know it sucks but if there was a magic pill to bring it down quicker, I'm sure he would have given it to me.  Be patient.  I've already ruled out this summer as my breakout summer but next year, I'll be ready.  

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Makesmemad,

Check out Blitz's diary under the diary section and you'll get a complete update.

Offline makesmesad

• Posting Member
Hey guys. Thanks for the reply. Thanks fielding for letting me know about possible complications and what to watch for.

I was at the doctors JUST yesterday, and i cant believe they missed it. It ha gotten progressivley worse in the past 12 hours, His partner doctor/friend whos also a PS is working today 12:30-2pm and im going down to see them. I need this dealt with asap, it hurts sooooooo baaaad.

How painful was it getting it drained? Will it be bad if i cant get it done today??? Damn im so scared   :-[

new pics (11am est)

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
isnt antibiotics supposed to be given after surgery to help with infections of this sort.  i was given some which i took till 2 days after///
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline makesmesad

• Posting Member
Went to see Dr KASRAI, apparently fieldings partner in crime.

Fielding si away till aug 9th.

anyways - i showed up, pained and pissed off because she hadnt mentioned this yesterday (when i had my 1 week post-op) but now im REALLY annoyed..she said 'We cant drain it till 2 weeks after surgery, go home'

I find this total lack of communication from fielding, or his partner doctors, ATTROCIOUS. not one have told me if i should where a compression vest, when, for how long, anything about a hematoma OR what bruising to expect.

I have one month before college. You think ill be better by then?  :-[

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
I had mine drained 9 days post op (last Friday).  Fielding just reopened the stitches and drained it.  Draining it will bring it down a cup size but you will definitely still have a big bruise there.  You still won't look right but it is a lot better then it was before.  I still wouldn't take my shirt off in public.  It's just a waiting game right now for it to heal.  I have a pool party to go to on Aug 13th and if it still looks like this, I am definitely not jumping in.  I've taken a hot water bottle and placed it on my bruised side and it does help with the pain.

You should also use the pain killers they prescribed.  If you're out, go see your pharmacist.  

As for Dr. Fielding opening up my stitches, it didn't hurt and I kept my eyes on the ceiling the entire time.  He does numb the area before he reopens the stitches.  

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Went to see Dr KASRAI, apparently fieldings partner in crime.

she said 'We cant drain it till 2 weeks after surgery, go home'

I find this total lack of communication from fielding, or his partner doctors, ATTROCIOUS. not one have told me if i should where a compression vest, when, for how long, anything about a hematoma OR what bruising to expect.

-[

You mean to say that at your pre-op consultation you didnt discuss any of these concerns?

How long did you wear the hospital bandages for?
You are supposed to keep those on for 1 week, 7 days.

Then at your post-op consulation the doc checks you out and gives you a report on your status.

Who told you that they cannot drain for at least 2 weeks post op? Someone at the hospital?

Fielding recommends wearing a compression of some sort for 3 weeks after surgery to keep swelling down and to promote healing... Had he not told you this?

Please answer all of the above questions, so we can try and help you out as much as possible.

Offline makesmesad

• Posting Member

You mean to say that at your pre-op consultation you didnt discuss any of these concerns?

How long did you wear the hospital bandages for?
You are supposed to keep those on for 1 week, 7 days.

Then at your post-op consulation the doc checks you out and gives you a report on your status.

Who told you that they cannot drain for at least 2 weeks post op? Someone at the hospital?

Fielding recommends wearing a compression of some sort for 3 weeks after surgery to keep swelling down and to promote healing... Had he not told you this?

Please answer all of the above questions, so we can try and help you out as much as possible.

His partner (DR KASRAI) said i could not drain for two weeks.  ???? Nope, ive asked several people about compression vests, they all look puzzled. and my parents think im speaking bullshit, so ill i got on now is a tesnor bandage, 7 days post OP. I got some post op questions answered, but generally not to much..i wasnt warned of a hematoma, pain or draining like this, nor how long it would take to recover..

And i still acnt get a compression vest, because thanks to the useless doctors lack of knowledge, My parents refuse to believe me.

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Dr. Fielding told me the compression vest is not necessary and that the tensor bandaging the hospital supplies is sufficient.  He said that the compression vest will work the same but is not necessary.  

If his assistant didn't drain you, then wait for Fielding.  Maybe they're not comfortable with the draining process.  However, Fielding is on vacation and won't be back until August 9.  

I wasn't warned of hematoma either.  He said I will have to wear the tensor bandage for 3 weeks after surgery.  Today is exactly 2 weeks.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:57:35 AM by Blitz »

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Ok... Let's go back for a moment here...

Blitz,

Are you saying that you also had a hemotoma?

Because when I was chatting with the doc at my pre-op, he told me that this happens 1 out of every 200 gyne cases...

And both you and 'makesmesad' have, or had a hemotoma?
I think those odds are not very good if you ask me?

ps. Is your hemotoma gone now Blitz? How long does it take to go away?

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Hematoma is still here but the flesh is getting softer.  It was rock hard when it first appeared.  

As for how long I'll have it; Dr. Fielding said it could be up to a couple months before it disappears.  I'm hoping that this is the worst case scenario.  It's ashame because the right side looks amazing.  I went to the Gap today and I still can't try on t-shirts until the left side is healed.  

Fielding drained mine last Friday so I think the healing process might be quicker.  Makesmemad didn't have his drained but I do know that it will heal in time.  Good thing it didn't happen on both boobs or I would really be discouraged.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024