Author Topic: Do I have time?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Snowrider

Hello, I've been lurking at this site on and off for a couple of years.  Here's a bit of background on my condition.  I was always a bigger kid, both height and weight wise, but I didn't start to develop breasts until I was in the 5th or 6th grade (10-11 years old).  At first I thought it was due to puberty or me being overweight, but over the years it just seemed to get worse and worse.  I was being picked on every single day, guys sneaking up behind me and grabbing my breasts, the stares, the jokes, the insecurity.  At one point my weight got up over 300 lbs. (I'm 6' 5"), but then I dropped about 30 lbs. that Summer.  Even though my weight changed, my gynecomastia remained the same.  I lost a bit of the fat underneath my arms, but the breasts didn't change size at all.  About 2 years ago I finally had enough of being fat so I religiously worked out every day, dropping 50 lbs. in about 5 months.  At that point I was at 6' 5" and 215 lbs. but the breasts still remained.  Since then I have put a bit of the weight back on, but I am nowhere near the weight from earlier in my life.

I'm finally in a position to pay for this procedure myself in the (likely) event that insurance should deny coverage.  My main reason for finally getting this done (aside from the money) is that I'm getting married in September and it would mean the world to me to be able to spend my honeymoon in Kauai without a shirt on.

If I were to have the procedure done in early June, would that give me enough post-op time to be healed to the point where exposure to the sun won't be a problem?  I could have the procedure done sooner than June if needed, but I was planning on dropping a bit more weight during the next couple of months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  It's amazing to have a forum like this where I can finally discuss my condition with others who actually understand what I'm going through. 

I will post pics of my condition when I get home so that you can help gauge the severity.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As you are now well aware, weight loss does not necessarily mean a significant reduction in breast size. 

The question you pose is one best answered by your Surgeon. A lot depends upon your own personal pysiology and how much you scar etc.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
I agree with Paa_Paw.  My surgeon told me to wait for sun exposure for 6 months.  I'll also add that it may not make much of a difference to lose the weight now.  I asked my doctor whether or not I should wait until I lose weight for the surgery and he said that I might as well get it done now.  (which I did. Now I'm trying to lose the weight)

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Personally, I wouldn't push it when it comes to sun exposure.  I'm not sure if you know what happens but there is a risk of permant pigment damage.  It seems to me that if you pay this kind of dough for a surgery, you might as well make sure it turns out right.  But, your plastic surgeon knows best, ask him/her.  I had my surgery done early January and I was told not to go shirtless this summer if I want to be safe.  I'll jump in the water and go swimming without a shirt on, but I"m not going to lounge around in the sun at all.  That's my plan.

Offline tittyman1111

• Posting Member
sun screen...there u go.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024