Author Topic: Risks of getting surgery at a young age.  (Read 7373 times)

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
Well you know i really cant take this thing anymore and i want to know if i get surgery for it will there be risks like hormonal problems or anything that will affect me other than pain. Pain is not a issue to me, i would probably take surgery for this without them numbing my chest (probably thats a little exagerrated). All i basically want to know is if it will affect my in my later years because it will cause a problem with puberty.
Would be really appreciated if doctors replied.

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
you not goin to get very many responses if you keep only wanting only doctors to respond
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
i dont mind if other people respond, go ahead i would appreciate it. just saying that i would like to hear from doctors 2.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
how old are you, how long have you had it, how advanced is it?  those are all factors. 

it's rarer for someone to do local anesthesia only, most ops are general. 

some docs will take you earlier, but there is always a risk of regrowth from even trace gyne left over if the hormones start acting up again, which is why some will suggest you wait instead. 

* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
im 14, had it for almost 2 years, i would give myself a 6.5/10.
You see if insurance pays for it and i get the surgery done at this age what do i have to lose? Yea i lknow it might come back but there is a chance it wont and if it does come bak i can get the surgery again in 3 years.
You get what im trying to say?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
One of the hazards of having surgery too soon Might be continued growth. If your hormones have not stabilized, this could happen.

The concept of having surgery now and then having it again in a few years might sound good to some, especially if the cost is not an object. The problem with this concept is that each time you have surgery, you lose a bit of the blood supply integrity in the area. Subsequent surgeries in the same place will heal more slowly and the possibility of necrosis increases.

Is 14 too young for surgery? The answer is neither yes nor no, it depends on how stable your condition is and also how stable your hormones are. I would hasten to point out that as a parent, I would not have allowed one of my sons to have cosmetic surgery at such a young age.
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

im 14, had it for almost 2 years, i would give myself a 6.5/10.
You see if insurance pays for it and i get the surgery done at this age what do i have to lose? Yea i lknow it might come back but there is a chance it wont and if it does come bak i can get the surgery again in 3 years.
You get what im trying to say?

How old before Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. Although gynecomastia frequently goes away on its own, what has not resolved by 2 years usually does not.  Waiting many years for nothing to happen makes little sense when an individual is stressed by the Emotion of Living with Gynecomastia.  You can see many examples here: Photos Before and After Surgery of Teenagers with Gynecomastia Gallery.

Surgery on a stable problem can help minimize chances of recurrence.  Each young patient needs to have an individualized evaluation before appropriate advice can be given.

At you age this is an issue you will need to discuss with your parents.  Many have told me that my site was a valuable tool to base a discussion with them about the issues facing those with gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have operated on appropriate young men from age 12 to 18 for gynecomastia -- and to this date, none of them has experienced a re-growth of the problem.

In my opinion, age alone is not a determining factor to be eligible for gyne surgery.  I regard the totality of the situation, including stability of gyne for a minimum of two years, good health, and emotional maturity of the young man (this is elective surgery).  Surgery itself will not affect the normal process of puberty.

I have often found that surgery can help stave off the embarrassment and ridicule that often accompanies gynecomastia.  Many of the posts on this forum will attest to the fact that they wish they had done it sooner -- their teenage years would have been much more normal.

Most important is for you to be up front with your folks to discuss the issue.  And then seek the help of an experienced gynecomastia surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline headheldhigh01

i'm not sure you'd want to be that casual about it, but your bigger problem is the first part.  very few people have succeeded at getting insurance to pay for it anyway.  if you do a search, you'll find a lot of threads.  but the dr's have basically answered your main question. 

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
i'm not sure you'd want to be that casual about it, but your bigger problem is the first part.  very few people have succeeded at getting insurance to pay for it anyway.  if you do a search, you'll find a lot of threads.  but the dr's have basically answered your main question. 

Yes i know but do u understand my point?

Offline headheldhigh01

i do, in your shoes i'd feel exactly the same way.  and the odds might even favor you, but you'd just be surprised what a letdown it can be for someone who gets a recurrence, and i just figured the context might be useful.  and like i said, it's moot if you didn't get approved anyway and you're dealing with your own money, the real miracle would be if you got them to pay.  great if you can, but very few people in the states have done it. 

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
haha my friend, i do not live in the states ;)

Offline headheldhigh01

if you ever disclose where you are, it could be interesting hearing how it went trying to get the insurance to cover you.

Offline myth77

• Posting Member
I live in the caribbean, and im planning to have the surgery done in mexico

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
I live in the caribbean, and im planning to have the surgery done in mexico

MEXICO!!! why there?

Fluffy( o )v( o )...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024