Author Topic: If you caught a slight cold, would that be a problem for surgery?  (Read 11064 times)

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Say you catch a cold just before you're scheduled to have the surgery - can the surgery still go ahead?

I have this paranoid fear that this may happen to me.
Surgery completed. Mission accomplished!
2/6/09. Dr. Karidis, UK.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If you're not terribly congested (nose, sinuses), you have no fever, and your chest isn't congested with coughing, you're probably fine.  <-------Any of those 3 signs or symptoms and you'll probably get canceled.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Any type of anesthesia -- general or IV sedation -- can be considerably worsened by the presence of a cold (with congestion in the nose and or lungs).  Furthermore, if your body is "under attack" by bacteria or viruses, you do not want to put further stress on your body with optional surgery.  Yes, surgery should not be performed if you are sick.  We want you to be in optimal health going into the operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Say you catch a cold just before you're scheduled to have the surgery - can the surgery still go ahead?

I have this paranoid fear that this may happen to me.

Elective surgery is different than trauma surgery. Additional risks are not appropriate.  A cold whether from virus or bacteria is a compromised situation.  Germs do not know to just stay in one part of the body.  Why take the risk for an elective surgery?  Rescheduling an operation is much safer.  Gynecomastia is a condition that has been there for quite some time.  Rushing for a solution can be a mistake with complications that you may need to live with for the rest of your life.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
Fever is a good indicator of the severeness of a respiratory infection. If there is no fever and practically no secretion (mucous), then it should be no problem. Obviously it is best to be in normal health wen you are having an elective surgery. I suggest Vitamin C the month before surgery and to avoid drastic changes in temperature (i.e. air conditining in the car or office).
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024