Author Topic: How important is compression for minor case?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline pinchy68

• Posting Member
I had a minor case operation (excision from under the nipple, no lipo) surgery with only some small amount of tissue removed directly under the areola , mainly just shaping the nipple, with local anesthetic only. The doctor said that I can remove the compression bandage 2 days after surgery, and that I can even exercise about 5 days after the surgery. I was doing some running, biking and weights about 5 days after the surgery. I didn't feel any discomfort. Initially all was ok. Not much swelling, no bruising all looked good. Now I am 8 days after the surgery and there is swelling. The surgical scar itself is healing nicely, but it feels like the nipple itself and some tissue around it is swollen. My Doc told me that I don't need a compression vest, but reading the post here everyone seems to be advocating the compression garment.
I am worried about the swelling turning into a permanent tissue underneath the skin.
Here are my questions:
Have I possibly done some damage by being too active too soon after the surgery?
For what cases is the compression garment clearly indicated? Are the clear/proven benefits of using it?
Is it only to speed up the healing and improve comfort, or does it impact also the overall long term outcome?
Can the compression garment be clearly useful even for minor cases like mone and significantly affect long term outcome of the operation?
Can I still benefit from the compression garment 9 days after the operation?

Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No matter how "minor" the operation, it is still an operation.  And absolutely nobody heals from surgery in five days.

I would definitely continue to wear a compression garment -- it can only help you.  At worst, wearing the garment is a minor inconvenience compared to the potential help it can provide.

My rule of thumb is about 3-4 weeks of compression at a minimum -- for any type of case.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You certainly didn't help yourself by exercising so soon after surgery.  Impossible for me to tell just from your description.  Best is to forget the past and just do your best as you go forward.  Again, I think you should wear tight compression for at least several weeks after surgery and avoid strenuous physical activities for the same length of time.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024