Author Topic: Lance The Sucker  (Read 2410 times)

Offline MEND1

• Posting Member

Is it wise to have your chest drained of fluid due to persistent swelling, what potential harm is there in doing this?

Thank you much.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Generally, the presence of a substantial amount of fluid (blood which is called a hematoma or serum which is called a seroma) will prevent proper healing, adherence of the overlying skin down to the deeper tissues, etc.  Fluid can also more easily become infected.  And its presence predisposes to scar tissue.  It is best to remove it as much as possible.

But there is a flip side.  Every time a doctor puts a needles through the skin and into a fluid collection, he risks introducing infection.  Thus, a proper and thorough sterile preparation of the skin is necessary.  And even then an infection can occur.

If the fluid is minimal in amount, the doctor may elect NOT to remove it but simply treat with a snug compression garment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline MEND1

• Posting Member
At what point does a doctor determine it's prudent to drain, instead of continuing with compression? I ask because I recently watched "The Journey of 3 men" video on You Tube (short documentary about 3 men and their surgical experiences), and the doctor elected to drain excess fluid with a needle in week three I believe. Isn't that premature, or was it done because one pec retained more fluid then the other?   Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
That is an individual decision by the surgeon -- there are no hard and fast rules.  But in general, if there is a large amount of fluid, it should be drained.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024