Author Topic: Soreness after surgery  (Read 2282 times)

Offline jimmy1234

• Posting Member
 I went for revision surgery on oct 29. Everything looks good and my PS and I are happy. I have been massaging daily in hopes to alleviate scar tissue and do feel a little sore once in awhile. Is this normal and if so how long will this last. Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Healing after surgery, whether primary or revision surgery, is a very individual process.  There are no black or white timetables.

There are so very many intangibles involved -- the amount of surgery, technique of the surgeon, whether any muscle was injured, whether there was any post-operative bleeding (however minor it my have been), how your own body heals, etc, etc, that one cannot say exactly when you will be absolutely fine.

In general, I tell my patients to expect 3-6 months of slow, steady healing after any operation -- and sometimes that can extend to 8-12 months.

You are doing the right thing by massaging and resuming your daily life activities. Massaging is good -- but too much of it might possibly be promoting some soreness.

Be patient -- if it looks good after the revision, then everything else will fall into place -- in time.

Dr JAcobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline jimmy1234

• Posting Member
Thanks doc. It has been about 3 months and I have also noticed that there is a little more puffiness to my areola area. I knot that there was an incision inside to reduce the puffiness. My PS told me there was no need to tape them down any longer and I only need to wear a tight tshirt when I go to bed. My question is 1-how long does it take for the areolas to set in to place and 2 -could my PS be giving me bad advice not to tape them down any longre. I noticed that as soon as i stopped that is when the puffiness started and since i am am still a little sore could this be swelling and when could I expect this to go down? Thank you

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Without the ability to examine you in person, I really can't comment on some of your questions. 

In my practice, I do not believe in taping nipples down.  First, the tape adhesive can produce irritation and eventually darker pigmentation on the surrounding skin.  Second, if it is just swelling, it will disappear on its own in time -- perhaps aided by continuing to wear a compression garment.  If it is scar tissue or residual gland, then no amount of taping will help.  Either way, I don't think taping is effective and I don't use this method.

Dr Jacobs

Offline jimmy1234

• Posting Member
Thanks. My PS said no compression vest was neccessary. Just a tight t shirt when i went to bed. It has been 3 months. maybe i should be a little patient and see if the areola settle in

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024