Author Topic: symmetrical chest  (Read 2960 times)

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Doctors:
do you remove same amount of fat/gland removed from both sides of the chest?
is there any special care taken during surgery to make  both sides of the chest look identical..
Code: [Select]
does everybody get symmetrical chest after surgery.. what are the factors that can really impact this.. is it possible to tell me what percentage of people get symmetrical chest..
thanks..

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously, the goal of surgery is to achieve a cut, contoured, symmetrical chest.  There are many factors that enter into the equation, however, and a surgeon must be aware of all of them.

For example, is there symmetric gyne in the first place or is it asymmetric?  In the asymmetric case, the surgeon will probably remove more tissue on one side than the other.

Sometimes there is underlying asymmetry of the chest, sternum (breastbone), rib cage, skeleton (ie scoliosis or curvature of the spine), etc -- this is something that the surgeon has no ability to correct in a gyne operation.  Sometimes there is even more chest muscle on one side than the other.

I use a pinch evaluation to judge the results of surgery as I proceed with the operation.  And I try to leave an equal and symmetric amount of pinch on both sides. I do keep track of how much tissue I remove from each side but I do not adjust my surgery in order to remove identical amounts from both sides -- rather I work for symmetric results.  Most often, this results in a nice symmetric chest.  Sometimes, however, the performance of gyne surgery can reveal an underlying asymmetry of the chest/skeleton, etc, which was masked by the overlying gyne.  Remove the gyne and the asymmetry is revealed.  This situation is rare but it can happen.

Just be aware that there are very few people in this world who have absolutely, perfectly mirror-image symmetric faces or bodies.  That is what makes us human -- our imperfections.  If you will not accept anything less than perfect symmetry after surgery, then you should reconsider your goals to be more realistic.  Most guys are happy after surgery to be able to wear tighter clothing and to walk around shirtless and not have anyone stare at them.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Thanks a lot for the clarification.. can it also depend how one heals post-op even if doctor has tried his best?  does compression vest play any part in achieving a symmetrical chest?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, I strongly believe that continuous snug compression after surgery can reduce swelling, reduce potential for fluid or blood accumulation, and thereby reduce the potential for scar tissue.  That is where the patient's desire to help themselves will enter the picture.  Following my instructions to the letter will help significantly.

And yet, with all the above being said, Mother Nature, as the third party in the equation, can sometimes rear her head and alter the results of surgery.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024