Author Topic: Swelling  (Read 2641 times)

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
If I'm 2 and a half week post op and: completely flat on one side, but quite swollen on the other side (which makes the nipple on this side quite puffy as well), after a gland removal+liposuction for puffy nipples, SHOULD I:
a: contact my surgeon and tell him to stick needles in me to remove it (read somewhere on this site that something like that would be possible?)
b: just STFU and be patient?
or c: ???

I'm wearing my garment, but my chest is swollen with or without it, so I'm just...darn.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Significantly different swelling may indicate fluid or blood accumulation -- this is something that should be checked out by your surgeon as quickly as possible.  Minor swelling differences are common -- but should still be checked out.  If your surgeon feels it is fluid which should be drained, yes he may use a needle -- but the skin is numb and you feel nothing! 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
I don't care if it hurts as much as getting kicked in the balls (seriously, I would let someone kick me straight to the balls to get this thing out of the way) :)

One thing I'm kind of worrying about is that he'll just dimiss that and say: "oh it's normal to have swelling"..

Another thing is that if I'm gonna go see him then it will cost me money to take the train there (which takes about an hour and a half) and back. Don't wanna take free from school to do that all for nothing :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:15:04 PM by WolfParade »

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
A phone call to your surgeon is free and you won't miss any school.  Consider shooting a photo with your phone and emailing it to him. Then call him and discuss it. I can't promise he can diagnose a hematoma or seroma from a photo, but he knows what you looked like right after surgery, and a photo may possibly help. 

You don't want to mess around with this if one side is significantly larger than the other, as Dr. Jacobs said.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
Called him up, he said as long as it's only moderate swelling and not any redness or "hisselse" (norwegian word, but no matter), then I should be fine, and should really just give it some time as the final result will only be at 3 months time. So I'll just give it some time I guess :)

By the way, one more week until I can start training! Can't wait!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If your surgeon is willing and you're at a distance, you can always take a digital photo and e-mail it to him.  I also use Skype with patients who are at a distance so that I am able to address questions with them without making them drive or fly in to see me.  As per Drs. Jacobs and Pope, if it needs to be addressed, it's better to do it sooner rather than later for a better long-term outcome.

Just a thought.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
The swelling seem to have gone down a bit the last week or so, and so even though it's still there and still making the nipple on that side puffy, I feel confident it will eventually become normal!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024