Author Topic: For the doctors  (Read 3218 times)

Offline 123456789

• Posting Member
Drs,  just wondering I realize everybody is different.  Is it beneficial to massage scare tissue after four months?  Or if the tissue didn't soften up yet massage may not be so effective at this point?

DrBermant

Drs,  just wondering I realize everybody is different.  Is it beneficial to massage scare tissue after four months?  Or if the tissue didn't soften up yet massage may not be so effective at this point?

You are correct, there are many variations. I prefer to individualize my patients' after surgery instructions depending on many factors. Both Scar Care and Pressure such as with Second Stage Compression Garments can help soften scar tissues but not residual gland if that is the source of the firmness. Time for scar improvement can sometimes can extend beyond 4 months in some cases.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As per Dr. Bermant, everyone is different and every situation requires individualized treatment.  But general principles of healing and scar maturation apply.  Following gynecomastia surgery and other procedures that involve liposuction, the healing process that goes on under the skin continues for a long time, and changes can be seen over a year.  For that reason, massage can impact that process to try and minimize dimpling and irregularities of the skin. It's good to start as early as is appropriate, based on the procedure, and continue for as long as a year in some cases.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery