Author Topic: Extreme, very localized pain under left nipple  (Read 12367 times)

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Hi docs.  I would like to get all of your opinions on something I'm currently experiencing.  

I have currently been experiencing very consistent, acute, localized pain under my left nipple for 3 months now.  The painful area is about the size of a pea...maybe a little bigger.  The pain is always there and never goes away.  It is not a dull, tender pain, as is typically described with gynecomastia (which I have been diagnosed with).  It is a very sharp, sticking type of pain.....like there is a sticker or a painful boil/pimple under my nipple.  

I've been going to my doctor with all of this and an assortment of tests have been run, but I still have the pain under my left nipple.  I've had a mammogram and ultrasound, which both showed bilateral gynecomastia.  I've had hormone tests which have been unremarkable.  I just don't know what else to do.  

My doctor really doesn't have any idea what is going on with my left nipple pain, he can only guess and speculate.  He says my symptoms simply don't match the type of pain associated with gyne. He has wondered if it could be a neuroma (nerve) problem under the nipple, and he also brought up "Cooper's ligament" problem of the breast.  However, from reading about Cooper's ligament, this does not sound like what I have.

Do any of you guys have any idea at all what might be going on or what I should do next?  My doctor has always been a very good doctor, but he just doesn't know what's up with this.  He says I do have gyne, but that is not the cause of my nipple pain.  I think he's right, because there's no pain in my right breast, only the left.  And the pain is not what you see described with gyne.  It's not "dull" or "tender," it's a sharp, very localized pain.  

What would you recommend?  My doctor said we could order a surgeon to go in there and see what's going on, but if it's nerve pain, would anything be found by opening me up and "exploring"?  I just hate to do that if the mammogram and sonogram have already shown nothing that needs cutting on.  

I am going to see an endocrinologist in about a month, but I've already had all the tests he's likely to do and those didn't help.  I really don't expect the endo to do anything magical.  

Just wondering if you guys might have any ideas on this.  With this kind of unexplained pain, I wouldn't think it would be wise to have surgery for my gyne right now.  But then again, cutting out what's directly under the nipple might solve the problem.  I just don't know.  But I'm getting very tired of this pain.  Especially since I don't know what it is or how long it will last.  It even interferes with me holding my granddaughters. It's just not normal, and it's a horrible feeling.  

Right around the time this pain started, I had begun working out with some dumb bells to get a little exercise.  I'm in my mid 50's and I am obese.  My doctor told me the gyne is often seen in guys my age who are overweight, and he told me my gyne might get better with weight loss.  But he also said he didn't think that would help the pain in my nipple....it would only help the gyne.

Is it possible that I could have injured the area under my nipple by lifting the weights?  Would that have shown up on the imaging tests I had?  

Please help if you can. Have any of you ever heard of what I'm describing? I know you are all very familiar with what lies directly beneath the nipple.  Can you think of what would be causing this type of pain?  Also, I have no mass.  My doctor told me he feels nothing....other than just a swollen overall breast.  

From the tissue you remove directly under the nipple, do you think it could be nerve related?  And if so, is there anything to be done to correct it? What about an infection of some kind?  I'm just brainstorming at this point.  :(

Thanks for reading.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024