Author Topic: Regarding the endocrinologist  (Read 3259 times)

Offline texastoast88

• Posting Member
Alright, I have had Gynecomastia for probably 9-10 years if not longer, I just can't remember. It has stabilized, it doesn't grow or shrink. I don't take any supplements, vitamins..anything. I can definitely feel the tissue growth under my nipples, so I'm 100% sure its Gynecomastia (idiocratic? or whatever). Obviously, I am absolutely stoked to get the surgery and remove them for good but I sure don't want to rush into anything. Should I see an endocrinologist? And if so, generally how much do they cost?
Dallas Mavericks basketball for life

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have had stable gyne for over ten years, and have no problems with libido, then I usually would not recommend an endocrinologist.  For most gyne, the conditions which started the problem have long since stabilized -- leaving the gyne as tangible physical evidence of the original problem.

If you wish to be absolutely sure, however, there is no harm in visiting an endocrinologist.  However, do not be surprised to find that all your tests are within the normal range.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline texastoast88

• Posting Member
If you have had stable gyne for over ten years, and have no problems with libido, then I usually would not recommend an endocrinologist.  For most gyne, the conditions which started the problem have long since stabilized -- leaving the gyne as tangible physical evidence of the original problem.

If you wish to be absolutely sure, however, there is no harm in visiting an endocrinologist.  However, do not be surprised to find that all your tests are within the normal range.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yes, I think I will just go ahead and consult with a plastic surgeon in my area. Just one other question.. I have not done too much research on travel costs (lodging, tickets, food etc.) but I am fairly confident that I will not have the money to travel to see a renowned doctor like Delgado or Bermant (although I'd love to). Dr. Dr. Wilcox in Plano seems like he is very well accredited, and has about 16 years of experience with gynecomastia surgery. He averages about 40 operations per year and the before and after pictures I've seen look very good. Would you recommend checking him out or should I continue to save and fly out to New York or California. I truly appreciate the advice!

DrBermant

Alright, I have had Gynecomastia for probably 9-10 years if not longer, I just can't remember. It has stabilized, it doesn't grow or shrink. I don't take any supplements, vitamins..anything. I can definitely feel the tissue growth under my nipples, so I'm 100% sure its Gynecomastia (idiocratic? or whatever). Obviously, I am absolutely stoked to get the surgery and remove them for good but I sure don't want to rush into anything. Should I see an endocrinologist? And if so, generally how much do they cost?

Idiopathic is the word you were looking for, and that means no specific reason for a cause.  It is a grab bag phrase when we just do not understand what is going on. Male breast growth can be difficult to find the cause(s), testing needs to be done during the symptomatic or growth phase or levels will all come out normal.

Not all patients need an endocrinology evaluation. Those with unstable issues do. With the help of endocrinologists over the years, I have evolved a Red Flag system of Gynecomastia Symptoms.  This method was received well during my invited Gynecomastia lecture at the American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists 2008 national meeting.

I have not done too much research on travel costs (lodging, tickets, food etc.) but I am fairly confident that I will not have the money to travel to see a renowned doctor like Delgado or Bermant (although I'd love to).

I work with up to 8 gynecomastia patients a day. We see many Texas Gynecomastia patients who prefer to travel to Virginia for my techniques. Here is another Texas Gynecomastia Surgery Patient Experience with an Extended Crater Defect. If you are interested in learning more, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

I have posted here on how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, there is no simple way to "check out" a doctor -- you simply have to ask about his volume of gyne procedures per year, ask to see MANY before  and after photos, and then go with your gut instincts. If possible, you should consult with several plastic surgeons -- you may be surprised at the variation of opinions.  You should feel comfortable and confident with your choice.

I would be pleased to offer an email consultation for you -- for free.  Simply send me your real name and email address in a PM.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024