Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 4826 times)

Offline titans321

• Posting Member
Hello Doctors and contributors.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask about Gynecomastia surgery, and Gynecomastia in general.

I just turned 16 years old by the way.

1) When do you think doctors will let me have surgery?  I have heard that most doctors will tell you to wait it out a few years to see if it goes away.  I really don't want to wait.  I just know it's not going to go away.

2) How should I tell me parents about my Gyno and me wanting to have a $5000 surgery?  It's not life-threatening or anything, but boy does it lower my self confidence.  I'm sure you all can relate to this.

3) I only have Gyno on one nipple.  I have heard, however, that even if you have Gyno on one nipple, you should go ahead and get both done because there might be a chance that the one that you think doesn't have Gyno may really have it.  It may just not be noticeable compared to the one you know has Gnyo for sure.  To be honest, though, I'm almost 100% sure I only have Gyno on one nipple.

4) Is it less expensive to have Gynecomastia surgery on just one nipple than both?  If so, about how much cheaper?

5) If I do only have the surgery only on the nipple I know I have it on, will it look like the other one, or will it look completely different (color, shape, location, stance of the nipple)?

6) How long do you think it'll take for it completely heal if I do get surgery?

Thank you so much for any help anyone is willing to give.

Here are some pictures of my Gynecomastia:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:38:01 PM by titans321 »

Offline titans321

• Posting Member
It's been two days, and no help?

Offline titans321

• Posting Member
Seriously?  It's been 5 days and no replies?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sorry you've been neglected.  I'll try to answer a few of your questions. 

1)  95% of gynecomastia cases in puberty will resolve within 3 years of onset, so if the condition has been present for 3 years without improvement, I would certainly be willing to do your surgery.  On the other hand, if you're not sure that it's been present that long, I might suggest waiting at least 6 months to see if any change occurs.  Remember, if you're still in an active phase of development, the condition might resolve on its own, or alternatively, you might develop gynecomastia on the other side after all.  Be critical and honest in determining how long you've had it--don't tell your surgeon 3 years just to get him or her to do the procedure.

2)  Only you know the answer to this question since you know your parents.  You might not want to start by saying you need to have a $5000 operation, but rather, tell them about your concern and let them know how much it bothers you.  It may take some time to get them to understand how much of a factor this problem is in your life, but that's the only way you'll get them to buy into it.  I've had young men come in with skeptical parents, who often have a much greater understanding of the life impact after meeting with me, leading to a more sympathetic approach to dealing with their son. 

3)  I will typically treat both sides unless there is absolutely nothing to treat on the unaffected side.  Often, there is at least some fat, though you appear to be very lean.  Typically, we charge 2/3 of the fees to do one side.  That probably varies from practice to practice.

4)  See #3

5)  The nipples may not look identical if one side is treated and the other isn't.  Looking at your chest, I don't anticipate a profound difference from side to side, but it's possible that they'll look different. 

6)  Define "completely heal"...  You won't miss much school, but you will likely miss gym class for a few weeks.  Surgery no later than the end of April for the beach in June. 

I hope that's helpful.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline titans321

• Posting Member
Sorry you've been neglected.  I'll try to answer a few of your questions. 

1)  95% of gynecomastia cases in puberty will resolve within 3 years of onset, so if the condition has been present for 3 years without improvement, I would certainly be willing to do your surgery.  On the other hand, if you're not sure that it's been present that long, I might suggest waiting at least 6 months to see if any change occurs.  Remember, if you're still in an active phase of development, the condition might resolve on its own, or alternatively, you might develop gynecomastia on the other side after all.  Be critical and honest in determining how long you've had it--don't tell your surgeon 3 years just to get him or her to do the procedure.

2)  Only you know the answer to this question since you know your parents.  You might not want to start by saying you need to have a $5000 operation, but rather, tell them about your concern and let them know how much it bothers you.  It may take some time to get them to understand how much of a factor this problem is in your life, but that's the only way you'll get them to buy into it.  I've had young men come in with skeptical parents, who often have a much greater understanding of the life impact after meeting with me, leading to a more sympathetic approach to dealing with their son. 

3)  I will typically treat both sides unless there is absolutely nothing to treat on the unaffected side.  Often, there is at least some fat, though you appear to be very lean.  Typically, we charge 2/3 of the fees to do one side.  That probably varies from practice to practice.

4)  See #3

5)  The nipples may not look identical if one side is treated and the other isn't.  Looking at your chest, I don't anticipate a profound difference from side to side, but it's possible that they'll look different. 

6)  Define "completely heal"...  You won't miss much school, but you will likely miss gym class for a few weeks.  Surgery no later than the end of April for the beach in June. 

I hope that's helpful.

Rick Silverman

Thank you so much for all of your help.  It has helped me out a lot.

When I say "completely heal," I mean so that it's not noticeable that I have had surgery and looks just like a regular nipple.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website

Thank you so much for all of your help.  It has helped me out a lot.

When I say "completely heal," I mean so that it's not noticeable that I have had surgery and looks just like a regular nipple.

You should look pretty normal by six weeks post-op.

RS

Offline titans321

• Posting Member
Okay thanks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024