Author Topic: Anethesia  (Read 1851 times)

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
Is it necessary to be knocked out if you don't have a huge chest?  I've never had surgery and am a little scared about going completely under.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are various degrees of anesthesia.  One need not necessarily have general anesthesia (the deepest form of anesthesia) but on the other hand, having it done under local anesthesia -- where you are awake and aware -- is also no picnic.

I prefer a middle ground -- sedation or twilight sleep anesthesia -- which provides enough anesthesia so that you are sleeping gently and unaware of what is going on (and of course, with no pain).   I work together with an anesthesiologist -- the result is a restful, gentle sleep while the surgery is performed -- and then a quick wake-up with no nausea, vomiting or hangover.

I would suggest you discuss this with your chosen surgeon.  If you have strong reservations about general anesthesia, then perhaps research another surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Is it necessary to be knocked out if you don't have a huge chest?  I've never had surgery and am a little scared about going completely under.

Look for patient anesthesia experiences to better understand what this operation is like. Plastic Surgery Anesthesia is an art form. Like the surgery itself, different teams practice it to different skill levels. Local anesthesia alone is not sufficient for gynecomastia surgery. General is too much, not needed and has an added risk of nausea and vomiting. (Once you start throwing up, you can start the pain cycle).

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024