Author Topic: some specific questions  (Read 1551 times)

Offline ihatepropecia

• Posting Member
Ok so this has been on my mind lately. I found out that after lipo surgery, you have less fat cells in the area of the procedure so your body stores fat elsewhere.  I had lipo on my mild case of gyno plus gland excision.  I think (though it may be in my head) that my body is now storing more fat in my back. I had the surgery at 180lbs. My ideal weight is 165lbs-170lbs.  I weigh 175-180 lately. so a couple questions about this:

1) Is it ok that I had my surgery at 180?
2) Would there have been much difference if I had it done at 165lbs? If so, what possible differences? and would these differences be PERMANENT?
3) if 165lbs is my ideal, VERY lean body weight, will my fat distribution work itself out if I get back down to that weight?
4) Is a 15lb fluctuation post op ok in either direction? It seems unrealistic to expect patients to remain the same weight forever.
5) Lastly, should the skin in my chest area tighten up as I drop these remaining 10lbs? If it tightens up AT ALL, it will probably feel ideal since its not that far off as it is. I realize this is hard to answer without a consultation but Im just looking for general opinions on the matter. Keep in mind, my gyno was pretty small. I have subtle lines on the sides of my chest at the moment. When my skin is tight and my nipples are hard, theyre very hard to detect and my chest looks close to perfect, but you can see them when my chest is laxed and my nipples are soft. They work their way towards my armpits.

Thanks so much for any replies, I'm a little paranoid about this and need some peace of mind.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You are correct in your statement that the fat cells removed with liposuction do not come back, and that extra stored fat will be stored elsewhere in the body, quite frequently in an even manner, but it is possible that a second "preferred" area might accumulate more fat than other areas. 

As for your specific situation, it's difficult to comment without additional information and history, including your height and how long ago your surgery was done.  Unless you're very short, even a 5 - 10 lb. fluctuation shouldn't have a profound effect on your appearance, depending on your build.  Generally, however, I prefer that a patient is at a higher than normal weight than a lower weight for surgery, as long as the weight is within a reasonable range of their normal weight.  I say this, since it's easier to get improvement in the result with a little weight loss afterwards, rather than trying to maintain an unreasonable (light) weight achieved by aggressive pre-operative dieting.

I can't comment on your last question, since I don't know how far post-op you are.  If you're less than a year, you should continue to see improvement over time. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery