Author Topic: Exercising / Lifting Weights When Chest Is Still Visibly Swollen  (Read 5641 times)

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Please advice doctors.

I am at 9 weeks post op and would like to start lifting weights, e.g. bench presses.  Although most doctors in this website give their patients clearance to exercise at about 6 weeks, I'm reluctant to start because there's still VISIBLE SWELLING on my chest and I'm worried that this swelling might be a sign that my body is still not ready to engage in strenuous activities at this point, and doing bench presses might have an adverse effect on my chest's healing.

Nevertheless, I've tried doing some dumbell presses yesterday and I didn't feel any pain during and after my exercise. 

I would appreciate it if the doctors in here can share their thoughts on my situation.  Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There comes a time when healing is sufficient for guys to return to strenuous exercise.  Return should be gradual and if there is any severe pain, then back off for a while.

Obviously, cannot comment on your individual case.  If you have real concerns, best to discuss with your own surgeon.

For my patients, I generally allow exercise after four weeks.  I know other docs on this site allow exercise sooner than that.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Dr Jacobs,

Did you mean that "There comes a time when healing, ALTHOUGH NOT COMPLETE, is sufficient for guys to return to strenuous exercises?

I posted some of my recent pictures, hope they help.  Since its obvious that I'm not completely healed yet, I'm worried that lifting weights now may cause unwanted scar tissues to form as a result. 

Would it be better for me to wait until all swelling disappears? Or would waiting not make a difference in my chest's healing and I may start exercising as long as I feel no pain?

Thank you Dr. Jacobs.  Always appreciate your responses.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Again, speaking generally, no-one is completely healed at one month -- even though that is when I allow my patients to return to exercise.  Exercise has no relation to the development or spontaneous reduction of scar tissue -- they are two different processes.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As one of the crazy surgeons who allows my patients to exercise sooner, I'll join Dr. Jacobs in confirming that your healing is not done at a month or at 2 months or even longer, as the process that is going on under the skin continues for months.  There may be subtle swelling, which persists for a while, and I don't base my recommendations on the presence or absence of swelling.

Many of my patients are gym fanatics, and many of my patients would start to exercise on their own earlier than 4 or 6 weeks, if that were my recommendation.  So I am very specific in structuring what they can do and when they can do it.  Taking this approach, I have had NO late hematomas, NO late seromas (fluid collections), and NO contour issues. I have one patient on whom I did a revision, including his peri-areolar skin reduction, who feels like his scars have worsened when he started to do chest exercises even 6 months after surgery.  I don't have an explanation for this one patient.  Other than him, I haven't had any other patients with scar issues related to exercise. 

As stated, you should consult with your surgeon before proceeding with any exercise regimen, in order to address your individual circumstances. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Assuming there are no other unstated issues I would have no problem with you exercising actively.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Hello Doctors,

My right chest seems to be healing quite well, other than the visible swelling, everything's ok.

My left chest is a different story, however.  I still feel some tightness and pain whenever I do any overhead movements with my left arm.  Moreover, when I try to stretch my left arm upwards and see how far it will go until I feel some sort of pain, my left chest will feel a bit tighter the following day.  Furthermore, whenever I sleep sideways (right side down), I feel pain on my left chest when I wake up.  I'm curious why that is, since it's the right part of my body that's underneath and not the left.  I've also noticed increased swelling on my left chest, which wasn't there before.  I'm currently 11 weeks post op.  Does my situation sound normal? 

Thank you for your responses docs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Some mild swelling for several months is not so unusual, especially after activity.  The sense of tightness and pulling is also common, and you can manage that best with massage to the areas.  I usually suggest massaging the chest with the arm up, even in the shower with some warm water and soap to loosen things up a little.  Any time someone has surgery on the right and the left sides, it's somewhat disconcerting that the recovery is not exactly the same...but it isn't.  And it doesn't mean that anything is wrong--it's just how it is. Late swelling is usually related to activity, and discomfort can accompany that.  Also, as your nerves wake up from getting beaten around during the procedure (with liposuction and excision), you'll feel different sensations, like when your leg wakes up, but stretched out over months.

Of course, if you have major concerns, you should always speak with your surgeon.

Rick Silverman

Offline kongking

• Bronze Member
Thanks for your response Dr. Silverman.  Just a follow up question:  When is it safe to start massaging those hard lumpy areas around the surgery site?  Is it ok to massage them even if I feel slight pain when pressing those tissues?  Thank you.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
I have my patients initiate massage after the first week without causing too much discomfort.  They can get more vigorous in time, as the discomfort resolves.  There may be some mild discomfort for a long time in the surgical site...even months.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024