Author Topic: Surgery in 4 weeks. Am i too heavy for surgery? ((with pics))  (Read 3153 times)

Offline isambard

• Bronze Member
Hello I am due to have gynecomastia surgery with gland excision and lipo in about 4 weeks (official surgery post to come). Here are some pictures of me as I am now: 177cm and 82kg (5' 10" 180 lbs). I am watching what i eat now and could loose up to one kilo (2.2lbs) until the operation in early november.

I know it's best to be at one's ideal weight before surgery but this is not possible with the time I have and I feel like I can no longer postpone my surgery. I was actually going to have surgery 2 years ago and I was much slimmer then, 70 KG (154 lbs)! I was too thin for my body type then. I had to postpone surgery then for various reasons but it's back on and I've gained some weight. I do plan to loose the weight after surgery but don't think I will loose more than 8 Kg (17.6 lbs).

My Question: If i have the surgery next month with my current weight and fat distrubution (see pictures) and then loose another 8 Kg (18 lbs) will I suffer from adverse side effects such as strange chest contours, crater deformity etc??  Or will it not be enough weight loss to make a difference? (When I loose weight It usually comes off my waist, arms, legs and face first and last my chest and gut.)

The surgeon is very skilled and I am not exactly OBESE. any insight on this matter would be very much appreciated as I am now getting worried about a compromised cosmetic end result because of a few stupid pies I should never have scarfed down!

Offline isambard

• Bronze Member

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You don't need to be at your ideal body weight for the surgery, but it's best to be in the ballpark, maybe within 20%.  Weight loss after the surgery tends to improve appearance. Weight gain can can cause deterioration in the appearance.  For that reason, you want to be at or near a weight that is easily maintained with normal diet and exercise.  If you get super lean and have the surgery at a weight that is impossible for you to maintain, then you may not maintain your result.  One should not be obese, ideally, though some men will have the surgery while still fairly heavy, understanding that they're more likely to require secondary procedures. 

Good luck with your procedure. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline isambard

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the reply. I am certainly within the 20% of my comfortable weight, in fact I am more like within 10% of my comfortable weight.  So do I (specifically) not stand to suffer from deformities or irregularities of any kind owing to a loss of weight post surgery of up to 8kilos/17 lbs?  Direct reference to me, based on my pictures (as apposed to a generic rule) would be very appreciated...

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on your photographs, I would not anticipate a big change with that amount of weight loss after surgery.  That is based on my experience with my patients who look like you pre-op and my approach to this surgery.  I can't really say more than that as concerns you with your history and your surgeon.

RS

Offline isambard

• Bronze Member
great reassurance, I appreciate your points re the surgeon/my history. Thanks for your reply!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024