Author Topic: Compression Vest (stage1 vs. stage2)  (Read 2157 times)

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
Doctors, what is the difference between the two? Is one tighter than the other? I currently 6 weeks out from my surgery and I'm still using the stage one along with a binder.
Thanks for your time..

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I think that most stage 2 garments lack zippers.  I'm not sure that there's any other difference.  They're a little smoother and form-fitting in some cases.  To some extent, it's a way for garment companies to sell more garments.  I just have my patients get "UnderArmor" or similar compression shirts, which are generally adequate and usually less expensive.  Spanx make male garments now, but those are priced a little higher than "UnderArmor."  Spanx are useful for patients who also have abdominal or flank procedures, since the UnderArmor shirts don't provide adequate compression in those areas, but Spanx (especially their "zoned" compression shirts) can in most cases.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Silverman.

The theory:  The "stage 1" garment has zippers and other devices to make it easy to put on, thereby minimizing movement of the arms.  The "stage 2" garment was just a pull over garment.  Both were equally snug.

I don't bother with them -- I think it is a lot of hokum.  I recommend an UnderArmor shirt, usually 1 - 2 sizes smaller than what one would ordinarily buy.  I do put at least one more layer of compression on top of that -- either a vest or a binder -- and occasionally both.  I see no problem in a patient moving his arms over his head in order to put on the UnderArmor -- it has never posed a problem to any of my patients.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
Dr. Silverman and Dr.Jacobs thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024