Author Topic: Scheduled a consultation with PS; haven't had blood work done  (Read 1274 times)

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
So I made a consultation with a local plastic surgeon today scheduled for late January 2012. However, since I am uninsured, I haven't had a physical or any blood work done at an endocrinologist.

I'd like to know as much about my physical state as possible before the visit with the PS. Should I save everyone's time and just reschedule?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
What you do prior to your visit with a plastic surgeon is mostly dependent on your history. If you have had gynecomastia since puberty, and the only changes you've observed related to to it can be explained by aging, weight gain, and normal physiologic processes of living, or if they can be explained by use of a medication, anabolic steroid or pro-hormone supplement, then you don't necessarily need an extensive medical evaluation.  If, on the other hand, the condition has developed later (post-teens), is changing without explanation, or if you have other medical conditions, then seeing your medical doctor first may eliminate concerns and allow you to proceed with the cosmetic procedure in a timely manner--or, more importantly, lead to prompt attention to a medical condition that requires treatment.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com