Author Topic: I think I have gynecomastia.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
Hello!
I'm 17 and I've been having male boobs for 4 years now.
I think I have a mild case of gyno.

The reason I never questioned the gravity of my condition is because everyone was saying "you're a teen and have male boobs? don't worry, 2 years and they are gone".

Well they are not. They aren't gone.

The truth is I'm a little fat (10 kilograms away from "normal") and the boobs started to appear exactly at the time I was getting fat. That is, when I was 13. From that on I was always 7-10 kilograms over normal and had male boobs.
They stayed the same size for the last 3 years. That's why I started thinking I don't actually have gyno, even though I present the sympthoms ( increased size and puffy nipples).

Today I got an eliptical bicycle and I started my weight loss program.

I guess I'll have to go see a doctor to see if I have it or don't.

If I have gyno I can't afford surgery. Are there any other ways to reduce the effects? Just an inch gone off my chest will make me really happy..

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Welcome to gyne.org!  You will find many sympathetic voices here -- you are among brothers.

As for your question, at age 17 with 4 years of gyne, it is unlikely it will disappear spontaneously.  If you are overweight, then losing weight will help your entire body, including your chest.  But usually there will be some residual breast tissue on your chest that will never respond to further diet and/or exercise.  If you are content with your chest after losing weight, then enjoy it.  If not content, then surgery is usually your next best option.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot for the advice! :)
I plan on losing the extra weight in no more than 4 months.
You say that if I'm not pleased with the result I should try surgery? I heard many people tried Nolvadex and noticed decent results. Gyno was still there, but not to the level that they couldn't take their shirt off.

Could Nolvadex be an option for me?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For established gyne, Nolvadex is not known to work.  Check out many, many threads on this forum.

If you are able to take off weight, perhaps consider a snug compression shirt -- that can give you a nice shape for most activities.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024