Author Topic: My Story  (Read 1783 times)

Offline first.last

I came across this forum after once again searching for an answer to gynecomastia that didn't involve surgery. I just thought I'd throw my story out there for anyone interested and maybe to get a little advice.

I'm currently 19 years old and all my life I've dreamed of joining the military. During my senior year of high school I realized this would never happen with me at 290 pounds (yeah, you read that right 2 9 0). So what motivation did I give myself? Why the United States Marine Corps of course.

9 months and nearly 100 pounds later its still my dream. There's one thing though... About 3 months into my journey I noticed that I wasn't losing my "man boobs" nearly as fast as everything else. That's when I started doing some research and that's when I had one of the worst days of my entire life. I've always had extremely low self esteem and been ashamed of my man boobs but I always thought "Hey, if you don't like them just do something about it. Get off your lazy ass and go work out"

But when I found out that no matter how hard I worked, no matter how much effort I put in, I would always have this I just about wanted to break down and cry. It just about destroyed all motivation I had left. How could I ever join now? Boot camp is physically and mentally draining enough without having to worry about be ridiculed and teased by your fellow recruits.Eventually though I started getting my motivation back- It is my dream after all and I won't let anything stop me.

So for the last six months I've been eating healthy, working out and looking for a solution that doesn't involve surgery. I've seen a little improvement but its still noticeable and I'm still self-conscious about wearing t-shirts out in public.

I read somewhere that hormone therapy can help but everyone on here seems to say the same thing, surgery is the only answer. If that's the case, what kinda of price tag should I be expecting? I haven't talked to my parents about it yet because its so embarrassing but I'm sure they would help pay for it. Also, does anyone know some great surgeons in the Denver, Co area?

Thanks for listening to my long rambling story and thanks for any input.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your story is similar to many others on this forum.

Unfortunately, being overweight is a contributing factor towards development of breast tissue.  when you lose the weight, the breast tissue remains.  It will not respond to diet, exercise or to any type of hormonal manipulation.  The only treatment is surgical removal of the excess tissue.

Best to discuss this frankly with your folks.  then do your homework and find a gyne surgeon who has sufficient experience to do the job right.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024