Author Topic: Surgical Consultation 5/14/12  (Read 1665 times)

Offline nanokenz

• Posting Member
I have a painful lump in my left breast that the doctor says is part of my gyno. I have a consultation with a general surgeon on 5/14/12.  I know its only a short time to wait for the appt but I was just wondering what kind of procedure he might recommend? Would it be considered a lumpectomy or something else? The GP mentioned doing a biopsy on the lump but I'm really hoping the surgeon will just take it out then test it.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would recommend you consult a plastic surgeon familiar with gynecomastia.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
General surgeons used to be trained in treatment of gynecomastia, but unless you're going to a general surgeon who only does breast surgery, it's unlikely that he or she has any experience with aesthetic treatment of the condition. They are certainly capable of doing a breast biopsy, but without attention to detail, you might end up with a significant contour issue, particularly if the mass is large.  If your only concern is getting rid of the painful lump, then this may not be a big deal, but if you also want it to look good afterwards, consultation with a plastic surgeon is probably a better bet.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery