Author Topic: do we need assitance during and after surgery  (Read 3116 times)

Offline happy83

HI,

I am an immigrant from india and software engineer working for a reatil firm. I am in usa all by myself. My parents are in india. I have read a lot of discussions in this forum and want to get away from the embrasment, i have carried for last 12 to 15 years. I dont want to discuss about my gyno issue with my colleagues.

I wanted to know how many days it usally takes to heal and after how many days can we go to office.

can i drive home and stay at home without any ones help.

how much does this cost.

how many days we have to be away from physical activities after the surgery.

Thanks in adavance.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Hi Happy83,

You will not be able to drive yourself home right after the surgery, someone will have to bring you home because you'll be very groggy from the anesthesia.

Depending on what doctor you choose, they might have a private car/driver that will pick you up and drop you back home for privacy.

Price will vary from doctor to doctor and will depend on how much surgery you require.

If you have an office/desk job that doesn't require too much physical activity you can probably go  back to work in three days.

As far as staying at home and taking care of yourself, you should be able to do just fine alone (unless you have complications after surgery or during surgery etc.) but if everything goes well and you're relatively healthy without any other health issues you should be able to take care of yourself.

Offline Gu

• Posting Member
Hey 83,

Your question is something I wish I asked before I got the surgery done. To be honest, support and someone that is beside you is extremely important. You don't want to feel alone. Depending on your situation and how major the surgery is, you can decide on going back to work and driving. However, from experience and minor surgery I can assure you that even "I" needed assistance with cooking, driving, and getting ice. To sum it up it makes life a lot more wonderful with someone to "help" you. You want to know that you are supposed to "REST" "RECOVER" and this means DONT MOVE!!!!!!

This is how I would suggest you be ready.
1.) Get a friend, a pal, anyone who can stay with you for the first 3-4 days. (never forget to repay those that supported you)
2.) Before the surgery prepare your bed and many liquids to drink. You can even keep a bowl of fruits.  WHY?!?!
Because once you come back from surgery you are to go STRAIGHT to bed, "drink some liquids and eat some fruits" and sleep for as LONG as you can.
3.) Do not get up unless it is going to the bathroom.
4.) On the second to third day begin eating in your regular manor, but eat eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese.. etc.

The rest can be different for everyone.

Hope this helps! ;D

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Having any surgery -- alone -- can be daunting.  Obviously, it is much much better to have someone caring for you.

However, it has been my experience that one can be alone and manage quite well -- but only on the day after surgery (assuming the surgery is more or less routine gyne surgery).

For my patients, since I do virtually all my surgery on an out-patient basis in my own surgical suite, I insist on someone being available to accompany you to a hotel or a friend's home.  If no one is available, I suggest a nurse's aid who can do the same job:  take you back to your room, get you comfortable and take care of you for a while.  Usually, by the next day, you are able to do things on your own.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024