Author Topic: Flying to the US  (Read 1923 times)

Offline asafbj

• Posting Member
Hi.

I'm scheduled for surgery in New York that going to take place in two weeks.

My consultation was via phone and emails (obviously with pictures).

My surgeon told me I don’t need to come a day prior to surgery to be examined…
This sounds weird to me, after all, he only saw pictures and I don’t think looking at your patient's problem in person for the first time in the morning of the surgery is a professional idea.

Dear doctors, when you have a patient coming from far away (and had consultation via phone\email with pictures) you ask him to come a day prior to surgery to see him and verify what you saw in the pictures?

Thank you!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have my patients come the day before to be sure that they are nearby and able to be at the hospital as scheduled in the morning.  Also, it gives me the opportunity to confirm the issues discussed during the remote consultation and to get a sense of  physical issues that aren't revealed in photos.  It's rare that I change my surgical plan, but seeing the patient on the day prior to his procedure allows for modification of a surgical plan if it's needed.  Finally, it's a chance to review the operation and address questions that the patient might have. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I absolutely, totally agree with Dr. Silverman.

I insist on seeing patients at least one or more days ahead of the operation.  That gives me an unhurried opportunity to confirm the physical exam, explain everything to the patient, answer lots of questions.  It also, quite honestly, provides an opportunity for the doctor and the patient to meet and (hopefully) feel comfortable with one another.  Although this has thankfully never happened to me, there are circumstances when a surgeon may not wish to accept a patient for surgery.  The patient may have unrealistic expectations or there may be some medical problems that were not fully discussed/explained prior to surgery.  Sometimes a patient may have taken an aspirin inadvertently during the week prior to surgery -- and this alone may necessitate the need to postpone surgery.

All of the above would be difficult if not impossible if a patient appears in an office just prior to the actual operation and expects to have surgery virtually immediately.  Just not a good idea at all.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I guess I am different from the individuals who have posted below. I have patients who often come from a distance and I am happy to see them the day of surgery. I have the patient's medical history and photos and I and my staff have spoken with them usually multiple times prior to surgery. In addition we have transmitted pre and post operative instructions to the patients in advance.If the photos I received do not represent the patient I would cancel the surgery and never treat the patient again.Its typically difficult time wise and expense wise for the patient and adding an extra day to the trip is often not practical or possible.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline asafbj

• Posting Member
Dr. Silverman , jacobs and pensler, thank you for your help!

My surgery is next week, wish me good luck. (:

If every thing will go well i will open a pictorial log.

thank you again!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024