Author Topic: when is lipo not needed and gland excision only suffices  (Read 2578 times)

Offline april24th2007

• Gold Member
Is lipo always needed for contouring or other purpose?

How often do surgeons only do gland excision and are the results usually good or are revisions needed.

For instance, many thin guys Ie. 5'9" & 158 lbs, have gland but are thin. 

Could the doctors please share some insight on this subject.  Thank you.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
If you have ever painted ( something I did in college for a summer )it's a similar sitution. If you are paitning and repairing a wall ,lets say an area the size of  basketball needs to be repaired. You spakle ,prime then paint the area. It is important, even if you are using the same can of paint that was originally used to paint the wall, to feather or blend the area painted into the surrounding area. The situation is similar here. If you only resect the gland it tends to produce a saucer deformity. A saucer deformity is just like the saucer under a teacup,indented a bit.In order to avoid the indentation and blend the resection into the surrounding tissue liposuction is often utilized.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In cases of very thin guys with puffy nipples, I will still do excision and some limited lipo.  Sometimes, I use the lipo cannula without suction -- merely to help the surrounding skin re-distribute itself.  If this isn't done, then sometimes the areola can still appear puffy because the skin around the edge is still tethered and thus the areolar skin has nowhere to go except to puff out.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I also do some liposuction in nearly every case, even in lean men, in order to provide a smooth transition between the excised area and the adjacent non-excised area.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline april24th2007

• Gold Member
Thank you again.

This lipo without suction..is it better?  less pain, less swelling?  Or more bruising and longer recovery plus scars?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is not a question of better or not.  Basically it serves to undermine the surrounding skin so that it can re-distribute.  If there is minimal to no surrounding fat, it makes no sense to suction that little bit of fat.  But it does make sense to loosen the skin -- hence non-suction "liposuction."

Dr Jacobs

Offline april24th2007

• Gold Member
Thank you for clarifying.
I am going to put up some very recent photos on here tonight.  Please have a look and let me know if they help in analysis.  Thanks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024