Author Topic: Have I been given the correct info from my Doctor????  (Read 1386 times)

jb1128

I went to see my primary Doctor yesterday for yet another fallow up and asked a few questions that maybe I should have asked sooner,but anyway,here goes,first I said to him that I have found many web sites on the net that say if you do these special exercises that they will cure your Gynecomastia,how true is that Doc,he smiled and said first exercise is good for the body and will help you lose weight and losing weight is good for you,it MAY help reduce the size you your chest because as with losing weight means you lose fat and just like in the rest of your body you will lose fat in your chest witch MIGHT make your breasts smaller but as far as a cure I have never heard of any exercises that will CURE your gynecomastia,so to say they can cure you is just a scam.

I also said to him but Doc I have been watching my fat intake and walking a lot and as of today I have lost 32 pounds in the last 4 months and my chest is no smaller or bigger, but now that I have lost weight they seem to be more noticeable (not bigger just noticeable).I also asked him to try and explain this to me in words that I can understand,I am an auto mechanic not a doctor, he said, Joe you have been my patient for a long time now and in that time I have noticed that even though you are over weight you are still a very muscular guy, you dont seem to have very much fat in your arms,legs and chest and that MOST of your fat seems to be in your belly,I interrupted and said if I dont have much fat in my chest then where are my moobs coming from (now this is the part that I most want to know if the info is correct) (he is always using words like MOST LIKELY and PROBABLE),he said MOST LIKELY your enlarged breast's are from enlarged cells and or enlarged glands,so I asked, so how do we un enlarge them he said as of right now there is no known way to shrink them back to what they where, once they swell they stay that way and the only known way to get ride of your swollen breasts is to undergo breast reduction surgery...is what he is telling me true or correct or does he not know what he is talking about?????????

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
What he has told you sounds pretty accurate to me.  Gynecomastia is typically a combination of glandular and fatty tissue.  It may be more of one or the other.  The fat that is present is typically resistant to normal dietary maneuvers, so that many men afflicted with gynecomastia will say that they lose weight everywhere but in their chest.  To fix this, the fat cells must be removed, which is done effectively with liposuction.  If the tissue is predominantly glandular, it typically needs to be cut out directly, and liposuction can be used for contouring to get a smooth result. 

Your doctor sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery